Polaris 280 help!!

Jun 27, 2009
New pool owner, inherited Polaris 280 from previous home owner but no manuel. I think I have the thing figured out but in reading the instructions on-line they mention a Restrictor Disk (I don't have any) and they mention a booster pump. I can hook it up but don't know if I am supposed to run filter and booster pump. Can I run it without the restrictor disk? 15,000 gal rectangle pool, cement.

The restrictor disk is in case you have too much water pressure for the Polaris. It goes into the fitting in the wall where you plug in the Polaris hose. My local pool place says they never use them. Offhand I think I need one because the pressure relief in the quick-release is always spitting water, I just haven't gotten around to putting it in yet.

You should have a separate booster pump for the Polaris line, and use it only when the main pump is on. I have two timers, and I just make sure the booster is on for a couple hours within the time that the main pump is on.
--paulr

Maybe the most important parameter for the 280 is wheel speed. Put a mark on one of the wheels, turn on the booster pump and count wheel revolutions for one minute you should get 28 - 32 RPM. If the speed is too high you might need a restriction disk if the speed is too slow and water is coming out around the relief valve remove the relief valve and replace it with a PVC plug. The Polaris relief valves are truly the pits and 95% of them do not work as they should. I fought with Polaris for several weeks over that issue and they sent me - I believe - six relief valves and none worked. They finally told me to remove the valve and put a plug where the valve went. That cured the problem and I haven't had any problems since.

luvnmommy said:
New pool owner, inherited Polaris 280 from previous home owner but no manuel. I think I have the thing figured out but in reading the instructions on-line they mention a Restrictor Disk (I don't have any) and they mention a booster pump. I can hook it up but don't know if I am supposed to run filter and booster pump. Can I run it without the restrictor disk? 15,000 gal rectangle pool, cement.

You need to run both pumps for the polaris to work. Start the filter pump first, if there is a valve between the main pump discharge and the booster pump open it wide open. Make sure you have a flow though the booster pump then start it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.