Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I dissolved 8lbs of CYA last Sat. to get to 50 by PC. The heat and sun was so relentless this week here in TN. that I added another 2lbs. Wed. When that shows up I should be at 60.
Tested my CYA for first time this a.m. and it only shows 25ppm.
I have been shocking according to the Chlorine/CYA chart, using the CYA number that I've added, even though it wouldn't be showing up.
Shock at 50 CYA=Shock 16
Shock at 60 CYA=Shock 24 (Started this Wed.)
My Cl tests during the day and overnight all week have never gotten below 15. At a CYA reading of 25, that tells me I am there :whoot: Shock level for a CYA of 25-30 is only 12.

BTW. My water has been crystal clear all week. Even when adding calcium chloride.

Test numbers this a.m.
FC 15
CC 0 (Haven't had any CC since Mon.)
TA 70
CH 170
CYA 25

I'm so ready to turn that SWG on and let it do it's thing :-D

Well, the answer is simple, the PB mistakenly made your pool 50,000 gallons. :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm kidding. I'm kidding.

CYA is pretty predictable in dosage but seems erratic as to when you can finally test for it. I think it will show up in your tests very soon. I'd treat the pool as if it was in there.

Assuming you applied it thru the skimmer, you haven't backwashed since, I assume.

duraleigh said:
Well, the answer is simple, the PB mistakenly made your pool 50,000 gallons. :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm kidding. I'm kidding.
That brought a laugh early this a.m. :lol: At this point, nothing would surprise me with them :rant:

CYA is pretty predictable in dosage but seems erratic as to when you can finally test for it. I think it will show up in your tests very soon. I'd treat the pool as if it was in there.

Assuming you applied it thru the skimmer, you haven't backwashed since, I assume.

I put it in a sock in front of the return and cart filter.
So I'm not there :( :x Guess I'll go out and take FC back up to 24 :x My POP is waning, especially when my water looks so sparkly clean 8)
I know I must be close to 100 lg. jugs of bleach, 11 of them were 10% Lig. chlorine. :x

Greeeeeeeen water that sat stagnant for about 2 weeks.

Yeah, I saw that but she is reporting crystal clear water now so I think you (fpm) and I are on the same page that she might be through.

Lynn, the overnite FC loss test will tell you if your done shocking. Have you done that?

Yes, on the overnight test, 3-4 times and it usually drops to 15-16. That is why I was hoping that I was shocking too much since my CYA test only showed 25 this morning and I've been shocking for a CYA of 60. ie shock level 24. It hasn't dropped below that on an overnight test yet and no CC since Monday.

I'm soooo confused :? But my water is gorgeous :whoot: You can see pics of it in my updated construction thread. :-D

I'm just waiting on y'all to give me the green light to let this FC drop so I can turn on my SWG. :-D Salt level is around 3000 according to the Pro Logic and my test strips. :whoot:

Yep, what reebok said. And, using Chem Geek's criteria as to when you are done shocking changes one word from 'clear' to 'sparkly':

1. You lose 1ppm FC or less overnight, and
2. You have 0.5 CC or less and
3. Your water is sparkly

Your only problem seems to be the overnight test.

How are you doing the CYA test? You have seen this?visual from Taylor Insudtries on CYA testing?

If I understand correctly, you have added enough CYA to get to 60? What is your plan to raise to 70 or 80?

Just trying to cover all the bases because we know that you have been under a lot of stress and excitement, which can make some of us forget little things. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Butterfly said:
Yep, what reebok said. And, using Chem Geek's criteria as to when you are done shocking changes one word from 'clear' to 'sparkly':

1. You lose 1ppm FC or less overnight, and
2. You have 0.5 CC or less and
3. Your water is sparkly

Your only problem seems to be the overnight test.
Yup. I keep losing FC after sunset and before sunrise. :x

How are you doing the CYA test? You have seen this?visual from Taylor Insudtries on CYA testing?
Yes I've seen that. I think I'm doing it right. I poured it out and checked 3x and got the same result.

If I understand correctly, you have added enough CYA to get to 60? What is your plan to raise to 70 or 80?
First, I would like to see the CYA test show me 60. Or at least more than 25. It's been 7 days since I added the stabilizer. Today is now 7 and it's only reading 25 :?:

Just trying to cover all the bases because we know that you have been under a lot of stress and excitement, which can make some of us forget little things. :-D
Stress is an understatement, with all the goofs that have been made. Thank goodness for you guys and gals. No telling what Kind of mess I would have had without the support from TFP. :roll:

Butterfly said:
Okay now Lynn, just for info, pls check the % on the CYA jug.

...just checking :wink:
Butterfly, do you mean chlorine jug??? If so, the bleach is Great Value, and it's 6%. I bought 4 G of 10% chlorine yesterday and will use it today.
Thanks for helping me :)

Oh my, I didn't know there was different % of CYA in stabilizer. I used SwimWay Conditioner. It justs says: Active Ingredient: CYA. No %. If I'm reading the instructions right, 3lbs/10,500G will only raise the CYA by 10ppm and I've added 8bls to a 20,000G pool. So my CYA reading is correct. Since I didn't know there was different % of CYA, I was just doing what the PC said.
ARRRRGH :!:
All this time that I've been shocking for CYA of 60 I should have been shcoking for CYA 25-30, if I've crunched the numbers right :hammer:
What an idiot :rant:
Now what????

Here's some pic of water this morning. Overcast skys. I find it very hard to get good pics of water :?:

Attachments

• Pool water 002.jpg
    Pool water 002.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Pool water 001.jpg
    Pool water 001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Pool water 003.jpg
    Pool water 003.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 73
Lynn... you are being too hard on yourself.

I did the same thing in May. I bought CYA that was only 50% and didn't realize it until AFTER I had added it and hadn't hit my target. I didn't bother to read the label past the "stabilizer" words to notice it was only 50%! :oops: :hammer:

Just get some more.....Good stuff this time :wink:

Overshocking just means you cleared your water faster, LOL I doubt there was any real harm done. (Good thing you figured it out now.)

Thanks FPMom. I guess I will make a trip to the LPS today for good stabilizer. They shouldn't do that to us rookies :(
So I should continue to raise my CYA.
Can I now let the FC drop to say 5, and start using my SWG????

Thanks for all y'alls help.

Using an SWG when the CYA is low, can make it work harder to keep up. Try and get the CYA in there today then.

If your FC held (I haven't checked) and the salt is in range, I see no reason for you to wait. I'm going to look at your other numbers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.