I feel like my algae is here to stay-can't get rid of it!

vjpool

Jul 4, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi, I'm new to pool ownership after home purchase and new to the DIY pool maintenance. Last year I had a service company service me weekly; pool was always blue. That got too expensive and now - algae for 2 weeks. My readings this mid day were:

TC - +10 (I ordered one of Dave's kits today)
TA = 100
pH = 7.6
CYA = 30-50
Hardness = 250

I have been adding liquid bleach, vaccuuming, backwashing and filtering 24/7. I don't think that I've been adding enough bleach because the water is still green. Is there anything I can try before my kit arrives? I'm afraid to let anyone in the pool, including myself.

I have a 23,000 gal. inground gunite with a Hayward sand filter. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

You need to bring the FC level up to 15 and hold it there. With only a TC test that will be difficult to do. The key to getting rid of algae quickly is to measure the FC level and bring it back up to 15 several times a day, at least twice, preferably three or more times.

Once you get things under control it will get much easier!

One additional question...

Thanks. How could I best measure that level when my strips only read to 10. Do you know if most pool store readings would read higher? I do have one of those Aqua Chem kits with reagents. When I use it, my test for TC and FC is off the color charts. Thanks.

You might end up with a swamp...

If the test kit is a few days away you could end up with a swamp.

packet of "guess" strips (just to let you know there's at least some FC in the pool).
20+ jugs of 96oz 6% bleach...
Add 5 jugs to start in the PM (should bring your pool to ~15PPM FC)
pump + filter 24x7
Check every couple of hours
If the FC reading isn't off the chart (I think the guess strips measure to 10PPM only), add 2~3 jugs of bleach
Never let the FC drop below 10PPM until the Algae is gone

You have to kill the stuff in your pool at a faster rate than it can reproduce. The only way to do so is to maintain shock levels 24x7. Ease off and the algae will be back.

Updated Numbers-Algae Needs to Go Away!

ok. I now have some numbers we can work with on chlorine levels.
My readings as of 15 minutes ago are:

TC=10 (I used the 1 to 2 method until my TF kit arrives on Monday)
FC = 5
CYA = 80
TA = 90
pH = 7.8
TH = 500

Please tell me what I need to get the algae gone. The water is not as green as before but still green.
Thanks.

Re: Updated Numbers-Algae Needs to Go Away!

vjpool said:
ok. I now have some numbers we can work with on chlorine levels.
My readings as of 15 minutes ago are:

TC=10 (I used the 1 to 2 method until my TF kit arrives on Monday)
FC = 5
CYA = 80
TA = 90
pH = 7.8
TH = 500

Please tell me what I need to get the algae gone. The water is not as green as before but still green.
Thanks.

~3.5 jugs of 96oz 6% bleach to bump up to 15PPM FC. test every 2 hrs, keep it at 15PPM FC until TC is 0. Then ease off. Pool your size should be about a jug every 1~1.5 days.

I tend to run my FC on the high end which for 50PPM CYA is 5~7PPM FC. The water does not irritate skin/eyes and I have virtually no problems with the pool. For my 26Kgal IG, I add a jug every time the FC falls below 5PPM.

Feel free to vacuum and backwash as needed... the more stuff you can get out, the faster your pool will clear!

Also brush your walls daily.

BTW, to get from 10 to 15 FC, you will need 238 oz, which is 2.5 jugs (96 oz) (per Jason's calculator)

If your FC test looks like it is off the chart, you can do the dilution with 1 part pool water and 2 parts distilled, and multiply by 3.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BTW, look at the linky's in Jason's and MQ's sigs. Ben's best guess chart will give you the FC and shock levels you need depending on your CYA level, and the Bleachcalc and/or Jason's pool calc will figure what amount of bleach you need to raise your FC to the necessary level given the size of your pool. The calculators also come in handy for figuring out amounts of other goodies such as muriatic acid, baking soda, etc.

Good info to have! :)

White and Sudsy looking Bubbles

Good morning....I'm still trying to get the pool back in order. Last night I vaccuumed, backwashed, rinsed. I tested the water about 4 hours later, then this a.m. about 2 hrs ago, I went out to test again and I have just slightly cloudy water with what appears to be clusters of "white sudsy-looking bubbles" floating atop of the water - mostly from the center toward the deep end. I took a reading and my numbers are:

TC - +15 (my best estimate using the 1 to 2 dilute - TF kit arrives on Monday :-D )
TA - 110
pH - 7.8
CYA - 70
TH - 300

Would you have any idea what this might be floating? I've been fighting algae - I wonder if this is some of it? I don't hjave the green tint anymore :).

Any help/ideas would be great. Thanks.

Thanks for the response Poseidon.......the foam is gradually dissipating . I did use some algaecide before I found this forum. Also, since my TF Kit is due to arrive on Monday, I will just keep a close eye on things until I'm able to obtain "real" levels of chlorine.......I know that I'm not being effective by guessing. Hadn't been all bad, but I'm probably causing myself more work than necessary without the kit.

Have a great afternoon!

YES - my TD Kit Arrived!!

First, thanks Dave for putting this kit together to sell. I'm a complete amateur, and found it quite easy to use.

Secondly, my pool water is no longer green but a nice blue, but slightly cloudy. Since my algae is gone, I believe I need to now bring my chlorine levels down - here are my readings:

FC=13
TC=14
TA=90
pH=7.4
CYA=80
CH=240

Thanks again.

vj,

Your almost home but don't let that chlorine down yet. In fact, I'd like to see you bring it back up to 20+ until that water is sprarkling. If you don't, the final clearing of your pool may take days....it sounds like your close enough to clear it overnight if you'll get the chlorine back up there.

I know it may seem a little counterintuitive to do this but, you've got Mr Algae down on his knees and you need to give him a good, hard kick in the teeth. Show no mercy...get your cl back up there and your pool will sparkle. Only back off on the chlorine when your watrer looks exactly the way you want it.

PS - thank you for the nice words on the test kit....I am very appreciative.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.