HELP -- POOL HAS BEEN GREEN-- AND SLIMY FOR MONTHS AND MONTH

tvgirl

Jun 26, 2009
I am starting yet again to see if it IS AT ALL POSSIBLE to clean up this SMAMP I have in my pool

I have an inground, 20,000 gallon pool. It is kidney shaped and progressively slopes into a very deep (approx.) 8-10ft. I have a neighbor's tree that distributes a LOT of leaves in the early winter, plus we have the santa ana winds out here which makes it much worse. I am in sunny California, but it is sad because I have trouble maintaining my pool by myself. About 14 mo ago I drained the pool, because it was that filthy from the dec-jan-feb season, plus I had bought the house the year before, and the prior pool guy told me he didn't think it had been drained in several years and it was probably time to do so.

ANYWAY... I am faced yet again with a complete mess and I don't know what to do.... I made several stabs at dumping chlorine granules, shock, algaecide, etc... at various times about a month ago, but really only saw it lighten from a dark nasty green to a lighter shade of green, but never able to see the bottom. I also didn't completely follow through with the process.

Also, I had a TON of leaves at the deep end, which were very difficult to get out, I have a net, but it is so deep I managed to get out most of what I THINK is down there, but I don't know how clogged the main drain is, and what issue that would cause. NOW THAT I AM BEGINNING THIS PROCESS AGAIN.... I attempted to push the net in the deep end to see what else is down there, not much more leaves (FYI -the ones I had retrieved were so decomposed.. they were black, and there was so much green slime -- smelly green slime, almost mud like, coming out with the net)

The problem with this, the slime-muddy stuff is hard to get out in a net, so what do I do?? It is so smelly, it really is like a SWAMP, and I feel like it is worse than any other BAD SITUATION when it comes to a green pool.

Please help!!!! WHat can I do???

So currently, like I said... although I tried to aggressively start this process several weeks ago... I stopped, and let it sit without brushing or any further chemicals (although the pump-filter was running). So now it is DARK GREEN AGAIN
Also, My DE FILTER (I have a Pentair FNS Plus), the manifold had a large piece broken, which I didn't realize would cause such problems in filtering. SO I HAD THAT PART REPLACED JUST 1 WEEK AGO.
I bought 20 gallons of regular STORE BLEACH TODAY, and want to desperately TRY AGAIN. Tonight I dumped 9 gallons of bleach in, cleaned the filter and brushed what I could of the walls. Also the filter is set to run 24/7
CAN YOU HELP?? SHOULD I PUT ALL THESE CHEMICALS IN YET AGAIN,... OR IS IT BETTER TO DRAIN THE ENTIRE POOL AND START OVER?
ALSO, I clean my filter by taking it apart each time and hosing it down (royal pain!!), my backwash handle (just the handle) snapped off plus I have no idea how to use the backwash anyway.

WHEN do I add MORE bleach, and what is the next step. I Have a testing kit, not sure how good it is though, I wasn't able to get a reading last I attempted the process

I have heard great things about this site, and would love to get your valuable advice as to what to do....
PLEASE RESCUE ME AND MY POOL!!! THX SO MUCH
Heather

Welcome to TFP!

There is a through write up of the entire process here.

The key to cleaning up your pool is to get good information about what is really going on. You need to start with a full set of water test results before you go any further. It is especially important to know your CYA level, as that controls the amount of chlorine you need to add at one time.

The entire process will be much simpler if you have your own top quality test kit. I recommend a kit from TFTestKits.Net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. Getting reliable water test results will dramatically speed up the process and eliminate the guessing game that you have to engage in otherwise.

I also didn't completely follow through with the process.

Hi, Heather, your comment above is really at the heart of the matter. As Jason said, you have to understand the issues in your pool (basically getting the solid junk out and then killing everything with chlorine) and then you have to be completely prepared to follow through.

A nasty green pool like that can be cleaned perfectly once you understand it is a process and not a one-time dosage of magic ingredients. That process will likely take days and consume very, very large amounts of chlorine but, once you start, you have to stay with the process.

There's lot's of really knowledgeable people here on the forum to help you thru with it but you must make the comittment to seeing it through to the end. You won't be disappointed. :-D

You have gotten very good advice from Jason and Dave... Read everything they suggested, and rest assured, all of this is much easier than it seems at first!! Many many folks here with beautiful sanitary sparkling water started just where you are now!

Welcome to TFP!

You CAN do it! You will also have to stock up on lots of POP (pool owner patience)! The pool didn't get that way in a day, and it won't be sparkling in a day either. You have to keep at it, and DONT GIVE UP until its done. I had a green pool once too, as did many folks here, but now we all love our pools! All your efforts will be worth it in the end, if you read pool school, get a good test kit, and listen to everyone's advice. There is lots of knowledge to be found here, and everyone is very helpful. You will have a beautiful pool in no time!

Thank you everyone!!! I am worried... because my backwash valve is tight, and the lever (twist turn?) popped off, so I have never been able to use that. I disable the filter everytime for clean up which is a ROYAL MESS -- PAIN!!!

I added the 9 Gallons last night, and it is lighter green than yesterday, but now that it is 90 plus degrees here in California today, would I add more bleach right now??? or will it just burn off??

I have seen how you must backwash several times a day, and I wish I could do that!!!

The pool store said I could borrow a large clamp to undue the large plastic nut around the backwash valve to see if I could open it and "unstuck" it... They said it may just need some lubricant. The funny thing is I really have no idea how to do this, and am worried I may not be able to undo something.

I hate the thought of manually cleaning the entire filter and grids several times a day!!! Do I need to do it that often if I can't find a way to open up the backwash valve?

ok, so I will run out get the results so I can post for you guys, and see about that clamp try to manage to open the valve

thanks all for giving me hope!!! I certainly need it!!
:)
Heather

THESE are the results I got from the pool store-
Free CL - 1.6
Total CL - 1.2
PH - 8.2
CH - 348
TA - 185
CYA - 46

They also said my phosphates were showing a little high.

I came back and changed the filter again, but still no luck with the backwash valve. I borrowed large plyers-clamp to try to untighten, but was unsuccessful. I wasn't even able to get loosen at all.

Also, like I mentioned the drain under the filter is jammed, so I am only able to scoop out the green water from the filter basin. There is a lot of green algae sitting on the bottom of the basin, GROSS!!! I got out as much as possible, but there was still some left. This stuff was green and chunky - so I guess that is what is on the bottom of my pool!!

I sound like a lost cause I know!!!! Sorry for the ignorance in the clean up job. The pool store discouraged me, they said I should probably just drain it!!!

I am so frustrated because I feel like I have so many obstacles here. The vacuum, the drain off the filter, the backwash valve, and all the slime-cottage cheese looking green in the bottom of the pool.

PLEASE HELP!!!
And when do I add more chlorine??
thanks - heather

PREVIOUS POST===
also, I have trouble with the vacuum!!! I am not able to get the proper suction to even begin!!! hmmmm

AND now, for some reason I am not seeing real strong suction from the skimmer. I checked the pump basket, skimmer basket etc.. still no. I cleaned the filter-grids last night and manually put the thing back together again.

Also, just to note... Not sure if these are real issues, but the drain under the filter is also stuck, so when I clean the filter manually I use a bucket to get out what I can in the basin (after taking out the filter and hosing down the grids). It is very green in the bottom of the basin, but I am unable to open that drain on the bottom.

And, the problem with the backwash valve being stuck, which is the reason I manually clean the filter each time.
I WISH THERE WAS AN EASIER WAY!!! :(

Let me know what you guys think
thanks sooooo much

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any chance getting a new filter is in the budget? Does the filter use a multiport valve or a slide valve(See Visual Encyclopedia)? Can you snap a few pics of the equipment?

BTW, the green "Cottage Cheese" type stuff is the old, dirty DE mixed with algae at the bottom(assuming you have a DE filter).

Don't want to insult your intelligence, but you are adding the proper amount of DE through the skimmer after cleaning the filter each time, right?

Also, when you vacuum, are you filling the whole hose with water before connecting it to the skimmer? If not, you may be sucking air and losing prime, thus the lack of suction.

HTH,
Adam

Hi tvgirl,

It would be helpful if you added your pool and equipment specs to your sig. Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig. Those responding to your posts will need this info to help you.

Also, you need a good test kit. We have an article in Pool School that compares kits. The most recommended is the TF100 sold by duraleigh at http://www.tftestkits.net. This will put YOU in control of your pool.

As Jason said, first lower your pH. We use muriatic acid for this.

Then shock your pool. Jason gave a link to the "Turning your green swamp back into a sparkling oasis" and it has all the info there.

If you have any questions, please post back in this thread.

Could you post a pic of your pool?

We want to help you clear your pool. Welcome to the forum :wave:

Sounds like a lot of trouble but it will be okay!

Can you post pics of your equipment? Somebody is sure to know something and can offer advices on how to fix it if it's really broke!

Another thing that launboy posted about is how much DE are you adding to the filter? If it's too much, that could be a problem on why things seem stuck.

You need a test kit as everyone has suggested. It's the only way to properly take care of your pool water and know exactly what it needs, when it needs it!

Get your pH lowered and shock your pool again! :whip:

Please, if you can, post pics of the pool and your pump/filter set up! We'll be here to help! Welcome to TFP! 8)

Casey said:
Sounds like a lot of trouble but it will be okay!

Can you post pics of your equipment? Somebody is sure to know something and can offer advices on how to fix it if it's really broke!

Another thing that launboy posted about is how much DE are you adding to the filter? If it's too much, that could be a problem on why things seem stuck.

You need a test kit as everyone has suggested. It's the only way to properly take care of your pool water and know exactly what it needs, when it needs it!

Get your pH lowered and shock your pool again! :whip:

Please, if you can, post pics of the pool and your pump/filter set up! We'll be here to help! Welcome to TFP! 8)

PLEASE -- PLEASE TELL ME AGAIN IT WILL BE OK?? :)
Thank you for all the kind responses!! I am so frustrated here, and wondered if it was even possible to fix this mess.
I will post pics tomorrow, great idea. I have a test kit, but it is a very simple one from Leslie's, so I don't know how good it is. It only shows Chlorine, Bromine, Ph.

I am not planning on getting a new filter, I think mine is just fine, it's just the lever to the slide valve for backwash that has broken off. The BW valve area seems very tight, and I don't know if it's something that can be opened up, loosened and lubricated, PLUS I have never used it.

The DE I am putting in is about 6 of those large cups. I am sure there is a lot of DE that went back into my pool before I replaced the manifold on the filter, as I was actually seeing it shoot back into the pool at that point!! I put an additional 5 gallons of bleach in tonight, but I am not sure if that is enough?? Yes, I understand... I must have a proper test kit :)
I'll work on that.
Here are some pictures.... the manifold has been replaced since, so I no longer have the issue with the large crack in the manifold.
http://s631.photobucket.com/albums/uu34/sptygl/

I'll post better pics tomorrow.

Thanks so much!!!!!!! :)

Absolutely, everything is going to be OK!

Depending on how handy you are with tools, it might be best to get a repair company out to fix the valve and any of the other hardware problems.

We can certainly walk you through taking care of all the water chemistry/algae problems on your own. Taking care of a pool does involve learning a lot of new things, and that can be overwhelming at first. Take things slow, do lots of reading, tackle one problem at a time, and things will all fall into place soon enough.

JasonLion said:
Absolutely, everything is going to be OK!

Depending on how handy you are with tools, it might be best to get a repair company out to fix the valve and any of the other hardware problems.

We can certainly walk you through taking care of all the water chemistry/algae problems on your own. Taking care of a pool does involve learning a lot of new things, and that can be overwhelming at first. Take things slow, do lots of reading, tackle one problem at a time, and things will all fall into place soon enough.

I wish I was handy with tools, but I am completely clueless. It is amazing that over time I have learned to clean the filter manually, because that is a HUGE task in itself. Several months ago, my friend and her husband were in town, and he just happened to know a lot about plumbing and pools, and was able to assist with something with the motor which had to be adjusted. I should have had him replace or atleast open the backwash valve area to see why it is jammed.

Breaking down the pool filter every day is exhausting... and from what you are all saying, it's really the backwash that has to be done so often (3-4 times daily) when trying to clear a troublesome pool.

I am more than frustrated here, because I feel like I am so limited in what I am capable at managing.

just to recap here -

I haven't been able to vacuum yet... but hopefully will be able to get that done this week. I added 5 gallons of bleach last night, and today cleaned the filter again and added 6 more. I guess I was expecting to see more progress???

I really think I am going to need to find someone to replace all or part of the backwash valve, because I can't possibly break down the filter manually as often as it seems necessary to. I have been disabling the filter and cleaning the grids almost everyday now for the last 3 days, and it is exhausting!!
I still don't know if the BW valve itself is still functioning and just stuck. Either way, the twist-turn knob needs to be replaced. I am hoping to not have to replace it if it isn't completely necessary. Any suggestions? maybe it does need to be loosened up to function again, and just replace the knob??

Thank you for your patience, and I hope to find a solution very soon.
many many thanks, from a most frustrated woman trying to understand the hardware of POOL MECHANICS
lol :hammer:

OH, goodness, you must get your backwash valve fixed and inspect your filter.

Dismantling the filter several times a day is way too much effort. You should normally only need to do that once or twice a year. I applaud you for doing it, though. Plus it takes so much more DE powder to reload freshly washed DE grids than it does when you backwash and replenish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.