Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 and the 5 way home depot Kit. Not Accurate?

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 and the 5 way home depot Kit. Not Accurate?

Hi, I was wondering which one is more accurate. Because sometimes its close but sometimes its way off.

For my TA test:

The first test I got:
    TF-100: 70
    5 Way: 80

The second test after adding acid (a lot of it because of new plaster and high PH within a 24 hour period):

TF-100(taylor):70
    5 Way: 110

I also noticed the PH of the two are slightly off but pretty close. I would say it's off by .1 to .2 at most

TC is pretty accurate of the two
    24000 inground gunite(painted), 1 hp hayward superpump (220), hayward 244t, Goldline Aqua rite SWG (110) Kreepy Krauly 1.5 in piping, 30 year old pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 and the 5 way home depot Kit. Not Accurate?

If your Home Depot is like mine the test kits are stored outside in the back with the garden supplies. The package says to store the reagents in a cool dry place; outside in the garden is not that place. I would trust the TF kit before I trusted the Home Depot version.
    27' round AG vinyl, 54" height with 18,200 gallons of water.
    1HP pump, 150lb sand filter run 12-14 per day. Using 12.5% liquid chlorine. BBB method.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit. Lamotte strips for borate at 50ppm.
    Goals: CYA-40, TA-80, FC-4, CC-0, Borate-50, PH-7.4-7.8 with use of fountain.

3. Back To Top    #3

You also have to wonder how long HD has had their merchandise in stock. I know the stuff in our HD garden area always looks pretty worse for the wear. Of course, in my area there is a pool store or Walmart within a mile or so in every direction, so I doubt many people purchase their supplies at HD around my area. Even the grocery stores and Walgreens carry muriatic acid, 10% chlorine, dry shock and test kits around here, so lots of competition.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Trust the TF100, it has much better compensation for the various possible things that might interfere with the test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School