Hi everyone, new here

Rottie

Jun 26, 2009
Hello everyone, I'm a newb to this board. I'm considering putting in an above ground pool this year. I've been looking at a Intex soft side 18 round X 48 deep pool.

I've got some questions about prep work, for instance how level is level? My land is pretty flat and I've got sandy loam as my soil, almost no rock and mostly no clay. Should I dig out a pit? or will leveling my current land be OK. Do I need an additional layer of sand on the soil I have (which is mostly sand now)?

My hubby is pretty good at this, a mechanical design guy by trade. But he leveled the area for our garden shed, a 18ftX 21 ft area and had a variance of 3 to 4 inches so he is a bit concerned he may not be able to sight the level and it be good.

Being totally new to a pool, and I mean never had more than a wading pool as a kid, I'm examining my options and feel this inexpensive Intex is a good way for us to try out ownership and see if having a pool is a good choice for us before sinking thousands into pool installation.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance for your advice!! :-D

Welcome to TFP!

The intex metal frame pools need to be very level, same specs as a 'permanent' AG pool. 3-4" off will NOT cut it. 1" out of level can also too much, depending on the size of the pool! Eyeballing it is NOT good enough.

The inflatable ring pools are slightly more forgiving, if you can set it in a 'hole', but beware that your pump needs to be on the deep side, and if the land is too far out of whack, the pool can 'roll' down the hill :shock: (ask me how I know :roll: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.