Hand Rail Install?

Jun 5, 2007
I'm at the final stages of my 6 week ordeal of Fiber glass pool install. Contrete ready to be poured in the next few days and supposedly the bricks will be completed as well right after.

But my PB wants $400 to install a 48 -57 inch pool hand rail! Is this acurate? I have found the 48 or 57 inch hand rail for about $110 - $150 on the internet. Question, how easy is to install the hand rail? Anyone have any advice, pics, etc....does the hand rail go before the concrete or after? Thanks!

The handrail is held in place by "anchor sockets" that must be set in a precise place prior to pouring the deck. The sockets are probably less than $10.00. If you do it youself, place them carefully in the exact location (you'll need to build a frame to hold them in place), duct tape the tops so concrete doesn't get in them, and the masons will finish around them. The ladder then simply slides into the pockets and is held tight with a mechanism within the pocket that will be very obvious.

About the only two things you can do wrong is to have them in the incorrect position or allow them to move while the concrete is poured.

I think the handrail also has to be part of the pool bond or grounding. If you're nearing the end, you'd better hurry... the mounting bracket needs to be in before a deck is poured. We just completed a build and the rail you describe was $400 for our install and the builder was very good with pricing compared to other quotes we got. I'd pay the $400 and get it done right before trying it myself... but that's me :-D

chatcher said:
mcmeekin said:
I think the handrail also has to be part of the pool bond or grounding...

One of the most important things to be bonded, since the whole idea is to grab hold of it while still immersed in the water. You really do not want a voltage difference between the water and the handrail!

I just wanted to share the story. My project is about 95% complete. Waiting for the PB to install my pool cover and close the pool for the winter....supposedly the cover is on order! But you were 500% correct about the bonding! Once the handrail was installed, my oldest daughter discovered a shock from the handrail. So I had a conversation with the PB like what the F*%$( are you thinking not bonding the handrail! His response, never heard abot a shock from the handrail! Long story short, I made him bring the electrician back, bond the handrail, ripping pavers out to do it! Better to be safe than later sorry.

So the best, the electrician says to me was the pool alarm in the pool at the time of the shock? :shock: So I played along, oh I think so. So he says, oh that was probably the shock coming from the 9 volt battery, I bet! :roll: I responded, wow you are great! Thank God you figured it out! Not that if the pool alarm was in the water at the sametime my daughter was swimming the alarm would be going off in the house and outside!

Man these PB's and electrician's really are something......just had to share the story....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.