Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hand Rail Install?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hand Rail Install?

I'm at the final stages of my 6 week ordeal of Fiber glass pool install. Contrete ready to be poured in the next few days and supposedly the bricks will be completed as well right after.

But my PB wants $400 to install a 48 -57 inch pool hand rail! Is this acurate? I have found the 48 or 57 inch hand rail for about $110 - $150 on the internet. Question, how easy is to install the hand rail? Anyone have any advice, pics, etc....does the hand rail go before the concrete or after? Thanks!
    IG 24,000 vinyl pool

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

What handrail are you referring to?

But the norm for installation is 3 to 4 times the cost of what is being installed.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wow 3-4 times! I'm talking about the hand rail for walking into the pool. see the link of a commercial hand rail...

http://www.sterlingpool.com/dms103.htm
    IG 24,000 vinyl pool

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The handrail is held in place by "anchor sockets" that must be set in a precise place prior to pouring the deck. The sockets are probably less than $10.00. If you do it youself, place them carefully in the exact location (you'll need to build a frame to hold them in place), duct tape the tops so concrete doesn't get in them, and the masons will finish around them. The ladder then simply slides into the pockets and is held tight with a mechanism within the pocket that will be very obvious.

About the only two things you can do wrong is to have them in the incorrect position or allow them to move while the concrete is poured.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thanks for the advice! Any ideas of any "cheap" places to purchase?
    IG 24,000 vinyl pool

6. Back To Top    #6
    I think the handrail also has to be part of the pool bond or grounding. If you're nearing the end, you'd better hurry... the mounting bracket needs to be in before a deck is poured. We just completed a build and the rail you describe was $400 for our install and the builder was very good with pricing compared to other quotes we got. I'd pay the $400 and get it done right before trying it myself... but that's me
    upstate SC , 11K gal IG vinyl liner, 1HP superflo, Pentair DE filter, AE-Ti Heatpump, Aquarite SWG, Colorsplash LED,2 Bubblers, 4 Deck jets, Small interfab slide (3.5'), Coverstar opaque blue automatic cover.
    install completed 7/5/2007

7. Back To Top    #7

me too.

save $200 to have something.... well, nevermind.
    18,000 gallon gunite free form, with spa, 4x160, EasyTouch, SWCG, Pentair cartr filter, Colorlogic lights.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mcmeekin
    I think the handrail also has to be part of the pool bond or grounding...
    One of the most important things to be bonded, since the whole idea is to grab hold of it while still immersed in the water. You really do not want a voltage difference between the water and the handrail!
    Currrent pool under construction: DIY Kafko steel/vinyl IG 26kgal 20x40 Kidney, sand filter, Triac spillover spa, Aqua Logic SWG
    Previous pool: IG vinyl 20x40 rectangle. Made all the mistakes - now reformed (mostly)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by chatcher
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmeekin
    I think the handrail also has to be part of the pool bond or grounding...
    One of the most important things to be bonded, since the whole idea is to grab hold of it while still immersed in the water. You really do not want a voltage difference between the water and the handrail!
    I just wanted to share the story. My project is about 95% complete. Waiting for the PB to install my pool cover and close the pool for the winter....supposedly the cover is on order! But you were 500% correct about the bonding! Once the handrail was installed, my oldest daughter discovered a shock from the handrail. So I had a conversation with the PB like what the F*%$( are you thinking not bonding the handrail! His response, never heard abot a shock from the handrail! Long story short, I made him bring the electrician back, bond the handrail, ripping pavers out to do it! Better to be safe than later sorry.

So the best, the electrician says to me was the pool alarm in the pool at the time of the shock? So I played along, oh I think so. So he says, oh that was probably the shock coming from the 9 volt battery, I bet! I responded, wow you are great! Thank God you figured it out! Not that if the pool alarm was in the water at the sametime my daughter was swimming the alarm would be going off in the house and outside!

Man these PB's and electrician's really are something......just had to share the story....
    IG 24,000 vinyl pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Would you be willing to post some pics of your pool? Congrats on the build.
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump