Audio options?

I have speakers mounted on the backside of the house wired to a receiver inside but I had that done when the home was built.

I'm thinking about putting in a pair of the outdoor speakers that look like rocks. I listened to some at BestBuy the other day, KLH I believe, and they sounded surpisingly good - I'm not a big fan of the brand. The price was right at only $106 for the pair. I'd like to put them in the landscaping on the back side of the pool but it might be a paid to get them tied into the receiver.

You could have the wires run from your speakers up through the eave of the house into the attic and down and out whatever wall your receiver is located on. The cost on having it done is actually not too bad if you get the right person - I know a guy. 8)

Looks like from the sonos forums that the recommended method is to install the zoneplayer inside nearest to the outdoor area where you want the speakers. Then just run the speaker wire through the wall to the outside. The wireless contoller will operate from outside to change stations or adjust volume, etc.

I am planning on hanging some speakers under my eaves, and running the wires in through the soffit, and down the wall to a wallplate with a female 1/8" midi connector and an ethernet connector in it. This way I can have my laptop connected to the VPN tunnel at work and have it play a sound when I get an email (to roust me out of the pool) ya right, but also, I can listen to MP3's on it. I am sure that it will work, if the laptop cannot drive them very well, then I will toss a cheap stereo into there and hook the laptop to it, or the mp3 player.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SeanB,
Please do NOT hijack threads or the mods will be forced to take actions such as moving or deleting your posts. You are more than welcome to start your own thread. The appropriate area for your topic would be the "coffee bar" since it is NOT pool related! thank you.

(Grace, I think I will be right in line behind you getting the axe!
:angel/devil:
(Sean, recheck your emiticons. I tried to put in the one of the angel dropping the halo and turning into the devil but it has the same url as the rocker that you posted, as you can see!)...fixed it.

SeanB said:
I have speakers mounted on the backside of the house wired to a receiver inside but I had that done when the home was built.

I'm thinking about putting in a pair of the outdoor speakers that look like rocks. I listened to some at BestBuy the other day, KLH I believe, and they sounded surpisingly good - I'm not a big fan of the brand. The price was right at only $106 for the pair. I'd like to put them in the landscaping on the back side of the pool but it might be a paid to get them tied into the receiver.

You could have the wires run from your speakers up through the eave of the house into the attic and down and out whatever wall your receiver is located on. The cost on having it done is actually not too bad if you get the right person - I know a guy. 8)

Sean, check out Ubid or www.partsexpress.com for those rock speakers.

ran outdoor speakers under the eaves last time, but had to go in wet to mess with the music. With the new pool, i put some polk outdoor speakers under the eaves and bought a cheap receiver. that way we can use sirius for random play (hello radio margaritaville ch 31) and plug in the ipod for my stuff. keep it all under the cabinet outside (under the porch roof) so far so good.
if you haven't put your cd's on an ipod, do it!! hassle free music and your own playlists. party on wayne.

I ran speaker wire down into the basement then out into the back yard and mounted speakers above the deck and under the balcony that is above the deck. I had a pair of speakers that I purchased for around $70 and I thought that they sounded pretty good.

One day I saw a pair of Polk out door speakers on sale and decided that the price was to good to pass up so I purchase them and hooked them up. I could not believe the difference in sound, I love them, and the music seems to carry much better.

I have the speakers hooked up to receiver which is hooked up to the satelite dish and I play the continuos music stations, favorite radio stations, or load up the CD player and let it play all afternoon.

We grilled hamburgers and hotdogs around the pool for the first time last weekend and I realized right away that I needed to get some music out to the pool area. We bought the KLH rock speakers at BestBuy that Sean mentioned and I have to say I was very impressed. They are just what we needed and sound great. I'm sure the hardcore audio enthusiasts may want more than these speakers can deliver but for the average person who just wants some music around the pool, these speakers are a great choice.

Tarheelpool

The absolute BEST outdoor speakers you can buy, if money is no object, are TechNomads. They are used on cruise ships, outdoor theaters, rock festivals, military applications, etc. I looked at them but coudn't justify $1500.-- for a pair of outdoor speakers!

But after looking at lots of them, I found that an old favorite for indoor speakers made a GREAT outdoor speaker: Boston Acoustics. The sound and base response is excellent, they handle up to 125 wpch, they look good and come down easily for the winter (though they say it's not necessary). I have the Voyager 6 model, the 7's are the biggest and best. The pair were about $400. and well worth it.

I simply went through the wall to the outside, then used conduit for all my speaker cables. Where the junction box went into the outside wall, I loaded with Gorilla Glue because it expands to fill and seal the space. The picture shows the speakers and conduit in place. I then painted the conduit to match the siding and it disappeared. I also put weather proof boxes above the speakers to protect the connections and used gold-tipped jumpers between the boxes and the speakers.

BTW: Very important--always make sure the speaker cables from both sides are exactly the same length, even if you have to wrap up and hide some. Good, heavy stranded cable is best, as well. You don't need Monster Cable--the 14guage stuff from Home Depot at $0.35/foot is fine.

60.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.