Is this salt ok for a SWG ??

Sep 3, 2008
Bucks County, PA
For years, there were several different brands of salt at various places around town. Currently , I'm seeing mostly this:

http://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/Water ... llets.aspx

Is this suitable for use in a SWG??

Diamond Crystal does make a pool salt that is 99% pure (as shown on site) but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

It does state 99.8% pure on the bag and I don't see any thing else listed on the bag. (I wish it was not in pellet form though).

Just curious, (this will be the first time I've used the SWG).

that is fine but see if you can find the blue bags of diamond crystal solar salt. It's a bit faster dissolving. The Pool salt is the same but it's an even smaller crystal so it dissolves a bit faster.
Any one fo them will do.

Hey sounds good.

I'm going to check a few more places for the pool salt. I'll check out the supermarkets as well. Never thought of that. We have a few smaller "mom and pop" hardware stores as well that I wanted to check just in case.

Good to know the blue bag will work. (One was broken open and I thought the crystals looked big and sharp) - But since I've never used a SWG I don't exactly know what I'm looking for just yet. The pellets in the yellow bag (while big), looked like oval pellets of pure white salt, which is what I was picturing in my mind. The blue bag reminded me of rock salt that I'd put on the sidewalk in the Winter!

Thanks for the clarification.

It's not rock salt, it's solar salt and much purer. The pellets are compressed so they are the slowest to dissolve. Next is the Sun Gems solar in a yellow bag. BIG crystals. A bit faster to dissolve. Next is the blue solar. Smaller crystals than the Sun Gems. Finally the pool salt which is just small crystals of solar salt.

Thanks again for the clarification. That's a huge help.

I just wanted to be sure before lugging a bunch of 40lb bags. I'm on my way out now to check a few more places. If I have no luck, I'll be picking up the blue bags you mention. Can't wait to get everything set up.

pool4me said:
Thanks again for the clarification. That's a huge help.

I just wanted to be sure before lugging a bunch of 40lb bags. I'm on my way out now to check a few more places. If I have no luck, I'll be picking up the blue bags you mention. Can't wait to get everything set up.

You may want to check out your local Ace Hdwe. Mine carries AquaSalt and Blue Diamond Pool Salt. Recently, the AquaSalt was on sale (6.99/40lb bag) and I bought some. It was much better (nice small crystals) than the pool salt I purchased from PAP which took longer to dissolve and contained several small "rocks" that my Polaris had to vacuum up.

Well I lucked out today.

For some reason my "regular Walmart" did not have any Pool Salt and either did Ace Hardware. I was going to head to Lowes where I saw "the blue bag above" and while on my way to meet clients today I popped into a Super Walmart about 25 miles away.

Bingo! Not only did I find the Morton Pool Salt for $5.49 a bag:

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/pool ... lsalt.html

I also found Pool Filter Sand as well, which nobody in town (except for the Pool Store at 4 times higher in price) seems to carry,

Good Deal!

ps. I'm guessing Jagfan is for Jacksonville??

(I've got a 1991 Jaguar XJ-S V-12 Coupe). So I'm kind of a Jagfan myself!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.