Baquacil conversion question

May 20, 2017
cortland, oh
Doing a Bacua conversion. Only had the pool up for two seasons, first one great second not so much...was told it was pink slime Much $$$ and time to remedy only to have it come back.
When we opened the pool it was very cloudy and you could see a film over the bottom. I was planning a conversion this spring so I did not add chemicals last year. When they delivered the water, the pressure from the fill hose pushed the slime from the bottom up, it looked like white pieces of tissue paper. There was not the pink tinge to the color like last year. I just want to be sure I am going in the right direction. I started the conversion by adding adding muriatic acid to bring the level down to 7.2 from 7.8. Then 4 gal of bleach which brought the FC level up to 1.8 the continued to add the bleach every hour to get the level up to 15, which was achieved after 23 gal of bleach, now working to keep the level up. The question I now have is am I working on the conversion or working on removing whatever is in the pool? And if I am doing it correctly? I only took the two test needed for the conversion PH and FC. Also if and when I get this mess fixed do I have to completely change the glass media out or can I somehow clean it with bleach? Thank you in advance for all the time and help!!!

Have you read this a few times? Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine You're doing fine. Just need to keep filtering goo and keeping that FC up. Backwash frequently when you see a pressure rise of 30% from your clean/low pressure.

You do need to completely change your filter media, but not until you pass the OCLT criteria. There's really no advantage to glass media over regular pool sand. In fact, it can cause problems. I would go with regular pool sand when you change the media out. If you want better filtration with a sand filter check out Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.