OLD pool rehab?

Jun 26, 2009
Help?..Please?
Father passed away 11/2 years ago. Wife still resides in home[lace. We have to clean up the property and SELL it for financial reasons (VERY unhappy about inevitable, eventual sale....) ....Property has what was once a beautiful inground, vinyl cover, sand filter (?)approx. 26 x 38' pool. Been covered for approx 10-15 years. Last time uncovered and explored, contained MUCH "wildlife" and LONG, exotic algae. I've read many of the articles posted here Re: info required for a response, etc. At this time I don't know more than what I have provided, but can obtain any necessary (test results, etc.)

The "tip" about removing as much solid material as possible before proceeding further seems reasonable, but we might need stronger equipment than a skimmer on a pole (to wrangle out the snakes.)

Does anyone have experience with this sort of operation? We have not done this before, but so far my husband has been able to manage ANY repair, construction, etc. of buildings, cars, motors, pumps, etc.
Any advice resulting from experience would be appreciated! We're sort of overwhelmed by trying to get the rest of the 12 acres, outbuildings, etc. in shape.
(Is anyone interested in a well-located, potentially BEAUTIFUL small farm in the research triangle section of NC? Just kidding, sort of.)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading!
Riversmom

Welcome to TFP!

If it has been that long, the liner might have failed or be about to fail. Getting a good view of the liner is difficult when the water is a total swamp, but examine it as best you can. Draining will destroy the liner, but if you need to replace it anyway, draining would be a good way to clean things up.

If the liner looks like it is in good condition and you want to keep it, you don't have a lot of choice and will need to get the stuff out with water in the pool.

I would invest in a leaf rake if you plan on trying salvaging the liner. You do not want to drain if you plan to save it.

Any pics of the pool in it's current state?

15 years is a long time to be covered. I can just imagine the swamp but it'd sure be nice if you could pull it out of it's current state and make it a top seller with the original liner! 8)

If the pump works, get every living creature you can out of the pool. Buy lots of bleach, some borax and baking soda and more bleach. You'll also need stabilizer.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Thank you very much for your responses!! I guess my husband will go exploring soon armed with a flashlight and a looonnnng net/stick. I'll return with additional questions after the safari. Again, thank you for your help!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.