Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newly replastered black pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Newly replastered black pool

Filled pool and started balancing five days ago. Last night checked pH (6.9--pool contractor recommended keeping it low to offset new plaster impact on pH) and chlorine at 2. This morning woke up to a totally milky white, cloudy pool, with white powder noticeable on the first step (couldn't see below first step). I drew a cross in the powder with my finger, and it was so fine it dissipated like smoke.

I have been brushing the pool since Monday but with little residue noticeable, until now.

My question is: 1) is the cloudiness due to the new plaster and 2) how best to eliminate the cloudiness. I have Sparkle up to add to the sand filter, or should I use a flocculant and vacuum?

Thanks for your comments.
    25k; 1.0 hp; 3/4 hp Legend; 24" Swimquip sand filter; new black plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newly replastered black pool

Someone will be along shortly to answer your questions, but I would like to say

Welcome to TFP!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is the Pool School Article on How to Start-up New Plaster.

What specific instructions did your contractor give to you?

It would be helpful if you added your pool and equipment specs in your sig.
    Go to User Control Panel (top left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Plaster dust is fairly common when you do a standard startup. Make sure you keep the PH under control, keep brushing, run the pump all the time, keep the filter clean as needed, and the filter should catch up eventually.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP We sure do like pics
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

6. Back To Top    #6

I haven't figured out how to attach pictures yet. I already tried and only seem to have an image option, not an attachment option.
    25k; 1.0 hp; 3/4 hp Legend; 24" Swimquip sand filter; new black plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

I have my camera set on the 640x480 pixel size and I don't have any trouble loading them. All you have to do is browse, select the pic off your computer and click add the file. You can do three in a post. Great big pics are no fun to view. You have to do too much scrolling.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

8. Back To Top    #8

To attach a photo, you could open a free Photobucket.com account and upload your photos to their site, using their instructions.

Once there, you copy the "IMG code" they give each pic, and paste that code into your message here, and the pic will appear.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!