New to pool ownership and TFP, green water not clearinh

May 17, 2017
Caledonia, MI
Opened the pool on Saturday, bought the house in January and have never owned a pool before. Thankfully a good friend suggested TFPC so I have a Taylor 2006 test kit and started things off right. On my end. Not so much on the previous owner. Pool opened very green and dirty. Tested and had CYA of about 120, husband was reluctant to do a partial drain so I tried balancing and SLAMing with high CYA. I won the battle yesterday (with DH) and we did a drain between 1/3 and 1/2. I'm pretty sure we now have a CYA of 70.

So I tested at noon today, had FC of 28, with a target of 29. Didn't add any bleach at that time, as we decided to do a deep clean on the filter, which was a good choice because the filter was 10X dirtier than the pool was. After almost four hours, the filter water was close to clean. We decided to go ahead and get the pool water filtering again, and plan on another deep clean this weekend.

So I checked FC again at 5 PM, and it was still 28. Through this process, it has seemed like FC has been more stable than I thought it should be. Night before last, it was 34 when I went to bed, and was still 34 the next morning. Am I dealing wih something other than algae? Or was a super dirty filter preventing good circulation of the water? Or was the CYA holding all the chlorine? CC is 0.

Super dirty/channeled filter sounds like a dang good part of the problem. Good job! It shouldn't need another "deep cleaning" though. Just backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean/normal pressure. Welcome!

Super dirty/channeled filter sounds like a dang good part of the problem. Good job! It shouldn't need another "deep cleaning" though. Just backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean/normal pressure. Welcome!

I'm assuming we still need to clean it more. The filter was at 20 to 21 PSI before we cleaned the sand. And was at the same pressure afterward. I know the pressure gauge is at least partially working, as is goes back down to zero when we release it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.