Algae Keeps Returning

Jun 7, 2016
Houston, Texas
I'm so frustrated. We have had our pool for just a little over a year now and I have had to SLAM it at least 5 or 6 times. You would think that I am neglecting it, but I can assure you that I am not. I've been a very attentive student of the TFP and test my water pretty much daily. Here are a few things to note:

* When I have performed a SLAM, I ensure that the water is crystal clear and that I pass an OCLT. The last time I slammed I kept on losing a little bit more FC than 1.0 overnight, so I kept on performing the SLAM for nearly 2 weeks (even though the water was clear).

* Current water stats are:
FC: 11
CYA: 70 (I raised it up this high using hockey pucks because I thought maybe I was losing FC too quick during the day)
pH: 7.6
Alk: 100
Temp: 80

As I mentioned, I really work hard to maintain these types of numbers, yet I am consistently having algae reappear. Not to the point where it takes over my pool, but it really clouds it up quite a bit.

Is it possible I am doing something wrong, or could it be that my filter needs a deep clean? It's only a year old and this had been happening even when it was brand new.

Thank you!!!

The attached pic is not mine since I don't have access to take a picture of my pool right now, but it COULD be mine. Little brown patches start to form in the same spot and they eventually grow larger. When I vacuum the water clouds up big time. If it's not algae I'm not sure what else it be. Pollen?

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 171
As suggested, do a Deep cleaning of the sand filter, this will assure you that the sand is in good working condition. Also look into stairs, behind light fixtures and even solar heating panels to make sure they are clean with slam levels of FC.

good luck

Felipe

We get the same kind of accumulation. Small brown collections - like a snow drift. When I brush I can see clouds of stuff kicked up. The water tests fine - no CC - ever. It is almost like the water is in layers and near the bottom there is not alot of movement. I find that when I brush daily it cuts the accumulation down a lot. Like I just said it is like some of the water is stagnate and a film of stuff grows on the bottom. Ladder is not in yet so there is nothing back there.

Maybe I've misread, but if you have a CYA of 70, then with a FC of 11 you are NOT in a SLAM. I don't have the chart handy, but I think you'd need to be upwards of 24.

Hi - I have not started on the SLAM yet - will be doing today most likely!

- - - Updated - - -

We get the same kind of accumulation. Small brown collections - like a snow drift. When I brush I can see clouds of stuff kicked up. The water tests fine - no CC - ever. It is almost like the water is in layers and near the bottom there is not alot of movement. I find that when I brush daily it cuts the accumulation down a lot. Like I just said it is like some of the water is stagnate and a film of stuff grows on the bottom. Ladder is not in yet so there is nothing back there.

Interesting - maybe that's just the nature of our types of pool and I would have to agree with your assessment of the water at the bottom of the pool being stagnant. I think I will have to try brushing daily!

Maybe I've misread, but if you have a CYA of 70, then with a FC of 11 you are NOT in a SLAM. I don't have the chart handy, but I think you'd need to be upwards of 24.

I think if I read correctly, they are not in a slam right now but were saying they had slammed repeatedly and they kept getting this stuff come back with what seemed like good numbers?

Anyway, I had this problem last year after I had to do a slam. I added a bit of DE to my sand filter to be sure I was getting all the finest of particles and then I went ahead and added some borates. It was all very easy to do and my water was crystal clear for the rest of the swim season.

Here is the link for adding DE to a filter:

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Here is a link about borates:

So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

I was a little apprehensive about doing it, but after I got the instructions clear it was fairly easy. I used borax and muriatic acid (because it was easy to get and cheaper) but I'm not a huge fan of handling that muriatic acid so this year I'm going to use the duda diesel stuff to get my borate numbers to where I had them last year.

Here is the link to the duda diesel boric acid (boric acid is like borates and acid all in one step): boric acid | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store

I hope this helps! My water last year was fantastic. I got many compliments and questions about it!

I think if I read correctly, they are not in a slam right now but were saying they had slammed repeatedly and they kept getting this stuff come back with what seemed like good numbers?

Anyway, I had this problem last year after I had to do a slam. I added a bit of DE to my sand filter to be sure I was getting all the finest of particles and then I went ahead and added some borates. It was all very easy to do and my water was crystal clear for the rest of the swim season.

Here is the link for adding DE to a filter:

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Here is a link about borates:

So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

I was a little apprehensive about doing it, but after I got the instructions clear it was fairly easy. I used borax and muriatic acid (because it was easy to get and cheaper) but I'm not a huge fan of handling that muriatic acid so this year I'm going to use the duda diesel stuff to get my borate numbers to where I had them last year.

Here is the link to the duda diesel boric acid (boric acid is like borates and acid all in one step): boric acid | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store

I hope this helps! My water last year was fantastic. I got many compliments and questions about it!

Yes! Thank you - this definitely helps and I'll definitely try it. I have to start my SLAM this weekend but once it clears up again I will try the DE and boarates. Much appreciated!

It looks like you are getting an accumulation of pollen and dirt on the bottom of your pool. How long do you run the pump daily, and how well does your skimmer work? Does it do a good job of collecting floating debris or does it float on by? Do you have trees overhanging the pool or nearby?

Keep the FC level up at the high end of your recommended range, vacuum the pool weekly, or if you have one of those auto pool cleaners like a Ranger or Baracuda let it run daily. You may want to replace some water to lower the CYA level to around 50 as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like you are getting an accumulation of pollen and dirt on the bottom of your pool. How long do you run the pump daily, and how well does your skimmer work? Does it do a good job of collecting floating debris or does it float on by? Do you have trees overhanging the pool or nearby?

Keep the FC level up at the high end of your recommended range, vacuum the pool weekly, or if you have one of those auto pool cleaners like a Ranger or Baracuda let it run daily. You may want to replace some water to lower the CYA level to around 50 as well.

Skimmer works great and picks up everything floating by, but yes I do have a lot of trees right nearby. I try to vacuum weekly. Will definitely lower the CYA down to 50 before SLAM. Thanks!

I was in the pool today as the landscaper for the property behind me was working. I now know what some of the stuff in my pool is. Billowing clouds of dust every time he went by leaving a very nice coating a stuff on my pool surface. I did find some algae growing in the foam on my weir door. It is soaking in bleach as I post this.

I was in the pool today as the landscaper for the property behind me was working. I now know what some of the stuff in my pool is. Billowing clouds of dust every time he went by leaving a very nice coating a stuff on my pool surface. I did find some algae growing in the foam on my weir door. It is soaking in bleach as I post this.

Very interesting - I may need to check if the same thing is happening to me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.