Measuring pressure with VS pumps

Yes, people with VS pumps need to check filter pressure at a higher rpm. I use 2500 because that is what speed 4 is set to on my pump. 3000 is fine as long as you remember to use 3000 next time. :)

Yes, people with VS pumps need to check filter pressure at a higher rpm. I use 2500 because that is what speed 4 is set to on my pump. 3000 is fine as long as you remember to use 3000 next time. :)

Out of curiosity why at the higher RPM? My pump is set to run at 1200 for filtering, higher for heating, and even higher for our water feature. I know it is just below 10 PSI at 1200 and I know, because of this site, to look for a 25% increase in PSI.

The 25% increase is based on old, single speed pumps which only run at 3450 rpm or 2 speed pumps running on high speed which is also 3450. I doubt you'll ever see a 25% pressure increase at low rpm.

What? Because that is when the filter should be cleaned, after the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure at high speed on a pump. I guess i don't understand your question.

What? Because that is when the filter should be cleaned, after the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure at high speed on a pump. I guess i don't understand your question.

AftonJeeper is simply pointing out that the reference to filter pressure rising 25% in that Pool School topic makes no consideration for the lower speeds of VSP's. I think most people here understand that 25% would be when observed at the highest pump speed but if you are new here, it might not be that intuitive.

AftonJeeper is simply pointing out that the reference to filter pressure rising 25% in that Pool School topic makes no consideration for the lower speeds of VSP's. I think most people here understand that 25% would be when observed at the highest pump speed but if you are new here, it might not be that intuitive.

I saw no reference to the highest pump speed in what I read. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.