Question For All Pool Owners...

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
For those of you that can clearly see your pool from the back windows of your house...Do you like that feature? Are you happy you have it? Or do you wish you couldn't see it?

For those of you that can't see it...do you wish you could?

I ask because i have a line of large thick evergreen trees which 100% block the view of the pool from my back windows. You would never know that I have one. I'm sure it was done intentionally by the previous owners. However I'm not sure I like that and think I might get more use out of the pool if I could see it. But before I cut them all down I wanted to see how other people felt in their situation.

Thanks!

IF for some reason I cannot be IN my pool I turn on the water features, fountains, etc. and if it's dark the color changing lights so I can get enjoyment of my pool from the balcony outside my bedroom, kitchen, and living room.

waterbear said:
IF for some reason I cannot be IN my pool I turn on the water features, fountains, etc. and if it's dark the color changing lights so I can get enjoyment of my pool from the balcony outside my bedroom, kitchen, and living room.
Same here :mrgreen:

One of the things that impressed me most when I bought my house recently was the view from the back windows. The whole back wall facing the back yard is comprised of floor to ceiling windows giving a beautiful view of the pool and back yard. I like waterbear's ideas of fountains and lights, hope he doesn't mind if I copy them... :mrgreen:

Count me another vote to cut down the screen! :goodjob:

Dave

You didn't say what the view of your pool was...
If you are looking at pumping equipment or an AG pool that is in disrepair, keep the trees up!
If your pool looks pleasing (in good repair, landscaped, and sparkling because you use the BBB method) cut em down!

-Ken-

Alright! Thanks everyone! Confirmed what I thought...The view of the pool would be nice!

Thanks!

(oh and it's an in-ground and while not beautifully landscaped yet...I'm working on it! :) )

Even though one of our POOL RULES is NO ONE SWIMS ALONE - I like that I can see the pool from the back windows. I can be inside and everyone outside and with the windows open I can HEAR what's going on - "Why don't you climb up on the fence and jump into the pool" WHAT??? For us - the pool is actually close enough to the house that with the windows all open and CLEAN I can be in the pool and watch the tv on in the house. What can say - LAZY!

What if you only cut down every other tree/hedge? Would that give you a bit of a screen but not completely open. Do they shade the area (maybe the reason they got put up was because the pool gets TOO hot or sunny or do they drop stuff into the water? I'd think about that before taking any more green stuff OUT of my landscaping.

Maybe they were set up to be a wind break or a NOISE barrier, too.

dpool

NQ, I am very happy with the view.
Having a view of a beautiful pool is soothing and fantastic.....even during winter when it is too cold to get in!

Cut those trees :mrgreen:

I'd also love to see the before and after pix. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dpool said:
Even though one of our POOL RULES is NO ONE SWIMS ALONE - I like that I can see the pool from the back windows. I can be inside and everyone outside and with the windows open I can HEAR what's going on - "Why don't you climb up on the fence and jump into the pool" WHAT??? For us - the pool is actually close enough to the house that with the windows all open and CLEAN I can be in the pool and watch the tv on in the house. What can say - LAZY!

What if you only cut down every other tree/hedge? Would that give you a bit of a screen but not completely open. Do they shade the area (maybe the reason they got put up was because the pool gets TOO hot or sunny or do they drop stuff into the water? I'd think about that before taking any more green stuff OUT of my landscaping.

Maybe they were set up to be a wind break or a NOISE barrier, too.

dpool

This is where I am. I bought AG to save cost and worried about the look but after installing a nice deck I really like having it close to the house. The main thing on placement for me was my young kids. Two girls 6 and 8. I want to know if they or any of the friends gets around the pool from inside the house. So placement was based on security or at least a feeling of security. Also, we have the fountain connected to the return with nice lighting so it's nice in that respect as well. I have the standard 50w light now and plan to add a second light with the colors in a week or so.

I would explore alternative options to cutting down the trees. One has already been suggested: cut down every other tree. Another possibility is to cut only the lower branches up maybe 8 feet. Without a photo it's difficult to picture your situation. If the trees don't drop stuff in your pool cutting them down entirely seems very drastic.

I love looking out my window and seeing my sparkly blue water in the morning! (The view of the safety cover in the winter however, is not too appealing.) As mentioned earlier, it is also nice to be able to look out and see what the kids and pets are doing from a safety aspect. You can catch them if they are running near the water, or something else that is "against the rules."

We had to cut down a 20 foot "hedge" that ran the perimeter of the yard prior to pool installation. It made a huge positive improvement. There was blue sky where before there was darkness. The were distant oaks where before the was a...a...hedge. I love plants just as much as the next guy and have always been reluctant to cut down a tree, but sometimes it is O.K. to let them go. Just plant something new somewhere else.

Another aspect of not being able to see your pool regularly is "out of sight, out of mind". You may be more likely to neglect a pool you cannot see regularly. I also like to be able to see my pool because of the beauty and the security. I don't have little kids, but who knows when one might crawl over the fence whether a kid or older and fall in the pool. If you can't see your pool and don't check it every day, you could have dead body in it for a good while. I love seeing my sparkly, refreshing water, year round.

Alright...Did it! It is soooo much better! So nice to see the pool from the kitchen and back yard. Everything is so much brighter and nicer too. And the pool area feels so much less claustrophobic too!

Here's The Before And After Pics!

Remember though that there's still a lot of work left to do that will make the "after" look much better! Including replacing the fence, painting the shed, putting up window shutters on the house, putting down pavers in the pool area, either putting in a deck or a stone patio between the house and pool, and covering the bulk head with something nicer.

Gonna be a long summer!

Attachments

• pooltrees 010.JPG
    pooltrees 010.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 292
  • pooltrees 004.JPG
    pooltrees 004.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 294
  • pooltrees 001.JPG
    pooltrees 001.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 292
Good choice. :goodjob:

When I came home last week to find the trampoline had blown in the pool, it was because I noticed it out the back door window "that doesn't look right"... If landscaping had blocked my view of the pool, I would not have known that the trampoline was in there until the next day at the earliest....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.