Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Acid. WHen Can I retest and refill? New plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Acid. WHen Can I retest and refill? New plaster

the plaster was recently finished and the PH is rising quickly. I added acid yesterday and was wondering how long before I can retest and refill again? How fast does it take to mix?

Its been almost 24hours and the ph is higher at 8.2

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to be strict with the balancing. Mainly because I don't want to mess up the new plaster.

Also, should the PB put the TA on the low side knowing that it will need a lot of acid?
    24000 inground gunite(painted), 1 hp hayward superpump (220), hayward 244t, Goldline Aqua rite SWG (110) Kreepy Krauly 1.5 in piping, 30 year old pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Acid. WHen Can I retest and refill? New plaster

I believe you can check one hour after adding the acid, assuming the pump has been running.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

3. Back To Top    #3

With fresh plaster, it is important to keep the PH at 8.0 or lower, and preferably at 7.8 or lower. You can add acid two or three times a day (or more) if you really have to. Lowering PH to around 7.2 will give you the most possible time before the PH gets high again.

Muriatic acid needs 30 minutes with the pump running before you retest the PH. Waiting an hour is better, if you have the time to wait.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the help this will make my job a lot easier.
    24000 inground gunite(painted), 1 hp hayward superpump (220), hayward 244t, Goldline Aqua rite SWG (110) Kreepy Krauly 1.5 in piping, 30 year old pool