Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Capasity

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Capasity

My builder stated it at 35-38k can I get some input on what the forum members believe it to be?[attachment=0:3g9pmzns]Pool drawing2.bmp[/attachment:3g9pmzns]

sorry for the 2nd grader drawing and thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Azle Texas, 38,000 gal blue gunite Salt water pool with a spill over Spa & 30 foot waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Capasity

what is the dark shadowed area?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

dark area is the transition from shallow to deep, Thank you
    Azle Texas, 38,000 gal blue gunite Salt water pool with a spill over Spa & 30 foot waterfall.

4. Back To Top    #4

So you basically have two circular pools with different diameters and depths. Figure them out separately and then add them together.

The forumula is radius2 x pi x average depth of the circle (measure the deep and shallowest parts of the circle and add them then divide by 2) will give you the cubic feet of water. Multiply the cubic feet of water x 7.48 (gallons of water per cubic foot) to get the gallonage of each circle. Repeat for the other circle and add them together.

Don't worry about the ledges and steps, etc. In the grand scheme of caring for your pool they are not going to affect the results enough to really matter.
    As far as the spa goes, calculate it as an oval pool and take the average depth as the sum of the depth to the bench + the depth to the footwell divided by 2. It will be in the ballbark. I assume the spa is a spillover so you are only dealing with one body of water so just add that to the results you got for the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

With those figures then the pool builder was a bit off... pool 43,700 and spa 7008? that seems a little high and odd to me?

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you might have made a math error. I would like to check your math.
    Please post the diameter of both circles (radius is 1/2 of the diameter ), the average depth of each circle (measure the shallow end of a circle and the deep end of the circle, add them and divide by two then repeat for the other circle to get the average depth for that.),
    the length and width of the spa and the depth to the seat and the depth to the floor of the spa.

Don't go by any printed measurements but actually measure everything with a measuring tape, including the depth of the water at the shallow and deep end of each circle.

Is your pool a true figure 8 or is there a longer transition section between the two circles?
    Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Circle diameters are 48, 58 and 31ft
    48 is 4ft deep
    58 is 9ft deep
    31 is 3ft deep
    the transition is equal all the way across.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by azle
    Circle diameters are 48, 58 and 31ft
    48 is 4ft deep
    58 is 9ft deep
    31 is 3ft deep
    the transition is equal all the way across.
    That can't be the diameters. Maybe it's the circumference's.

Using you're orginal sketch for the sizes you state that the width in both the deep and shallow ends is 21' and the spa is 31'circumference. You also state that the length from end to end is 37' which is in line with the 21' width of each end. In essence, what you have is 2 pools 21' diameter, one 4' deep and one 9' deep and another pool 10' diameter and 3' deep.

Given the above, your volume would be 36,737 gallons so your builders estimate appears to be dead on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Bama THANK YOU! if I could see your math i did it way to many time and came up with completely different #'s and i am pretty good woth math? Thank you again!

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, here it is.

(10.5 x 10.5) x 3.1416 x 4 x 7.48 = 10363 Shallow pool.
    (10.5 x 10.5) x 3.1416 x 9 x 7.48 = 24612 Deep pool.
    (5 x 5) x 3.1416 x 3 x 7.48 = 1762 Spa.

10363+24612+1762 = 36737 gallons
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I get it i was multiplying the depth in inches... Thanks again!

12. Back To Top    #12

Is your spa circular or oval? From the pic it looks oval but you only gave one dimension for it

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry been away for awile my spa is peanut shapped.