Just bought a house with a pool

Ok so I added 1 3in chlorine puck that the previous owner had in storage to the skimmer basket. How much should I add over all to raise the CYA to the min acceptable level of 30ppm Looks like it should take 10 pucks to get to 30ppm CYA and it should get the FC levels up as well. It might lower the PH though..I can add Borax...I am trying to get to a point where I can BBB.

I am trying to avoid CYA as well as using the minimum amount of chlorine. It is my understanding that CYAs stay in the pool unless you drain it. The pool is clear and clean just cold or the wife would have been in it last night. I'll have new readings in the morning.

Today's numbers are

FC 9.6
CC .8
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 70
Still 30 or less of CYA..I know I know ad stabilizer..

I had turned up the liquidator chlorinate to 5 last night before bed and the puck I posted about yesterday. The puck is still mostly there in the strainer. I turned down the Liquidator Chlorinate to 3 this morning.

That should help with the higher level, but you also need the cya as a buffer so it is not harsh on bathing
suits and hair. It's also more harsh on your liner and speaking of which, you should remove that puck
as soon as possible from the skimmer. When your pump is not running the puck is letting chlorine out
and if the concentration gets high enough just sitting there, it will damage your liner just outside the skimmer.

Someone last year had been putting pucks in their skimmer and had to replace the liner from damage.

if you have a floater put it in that.

Another reason to *not* put pucks in the skimmer is that when the pump is off and water just sits there it gets increasingly acidic from the puck. Then you go and turn on the pump and the pump and gaskets get a blast of that acidic water which is not desirable.

Maddie :flower:

Last season we were using pucks in a floater to slowly raise the cya just after opening (this was before finding TFP). It took forever for them to dissolve and after a month we had finally hit our cya target. In the meantime I was using more bleach than necessary as the sun was destroying it almost as fast as I was adding it. Once the level was up, the CL loss was much more predictable.

Thank you that makes sense....I need to run out and get bleach today and add it to the liquidator before it runs out...

I do not have a float but we have been keeping on the pump 24/7 to prevent it just sitting there.