Testing bleach for chlorine concentration

saml

Jun 3, 2008
Near Knoxville TN
Just in case you want to confirm you're getting 6% bleach or want to test the stuff you've had setting around, can a given amount of bleach be diluted with non-chlorinated water and then tested for its chlorine content? Is it even feasible since we're talking diluting 60,000 ppm to something readable in the 0-20 ppm range? If so how, what proportions would you use?

If you do a 100 to 1 dilution twice the FC measurement in ppm of that will equal the actual % of the original bleach. The procedure is a little tricky to do with enough precision to be useful (watch out for contamination in the second dilution), but most people can manage it with a little care and patience.

The other approach is to put it in your pool and see how much it affects your FC level.

JasonLion said:
The other approach is to put it in your pool and see how much it affects your FC level.

This is what I did. I expected a rise of 5ppm on a gallon and a half but got 7 instead. According to the calculator for my size pool this would be 8% at 192oz. This was the "Basic" brand from my local grocery store. (Kroger)
I normally use 12% from the pool store as it's cheaper but getting ready to go out of town and wanted to give my wife a smaller jug to pour from than the 5 gallon jug the 12% comes in.

Close. My pool is 54" tall and the water stays nearly to the top of the skimmer. Just above the top side screws. Still, it may be close to 17,000 but its not what the calculator says.

The 5ppm number came from the pool calculator. Adding Chlorox brand I did see about 5ppm for the same volume as the non-brand-name stuff that gave me 7ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.