Dolphin E10 Review

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
I wasn't sure exactly when I would be getting a cleaning robot, but did a lot of reading
to find one that could scrub but hopefully be under $ 400 ish.

Matt's (Joyfullnoise) post with his recent robot purchase got me motivated to at
least see what was available now and I'm really glad I did my due diligence.

The more I read about the Dolphin E10 (designed for above ground and smaller inground pools)
the more I believed it would be a perfect fit. I bought a refurbished model from poolpartz.com
for $ 379 and couldn't be happier with the performance it gave yesterday after arriving.

None of the youtube videos showed the E10 climbing steep angled walls of hopper style inground pools and had
me just slightly worried as my 7 foot deep end is that design. But I also noticed that even though
it was not designed to climb walls, it will keep going forward until it is literally pointing straight up.

I'm relieved to say the E10 has no problem climbing hopper steep sloped walls. I've attached photos
of it in action. Imagine my joy when it was just a few inches from the return jet in the deep end!
It cleans and scrubs it all, only missing the top 12 inches of the sides walls all the way around.

Another concern was the cord only being 40 feet, though my gfi plug
is not far from the 16x32 pool. It got all the way to the deep end with about 1 foot of slack
left in the line. (sigh of relief)

I ran the cleaner I call "E10" for an hour and the pool is spotless after jumping in with
a mask on to inspect.

It's a great cleaner I would recommend to anyone with a similar sized pool and an excellent
price considering it is the lowest cost robot with a scrubbing brush.

Here are some photos:

Attachments

• 20170523_174903.jpg
    20170523_174903.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 864
  • 20170523_174943.jpg
    20170523_174943.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 838
  • 20170523_175039.jpg
    20170523_175039.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 840
  • 20170523_175727.jpg
    20170523_175727.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 838
thanks Matt! kudos to you getting the wall climber model and motivating me to get a robot.

I knew this guy years ago named Ethan. we called him ETEN, so since the Robot is an E10 I call it ETEN haha.

It came with the standard dolphin cleaner basket same as yours has, I might get the finer particle add on though.

FedEx dropped off our E10 a bit ago (our first robot). It's working right now. I watched it work for about 20 minutes . . . fabulously boring ;) The default filter is working great.

No name yet; that's my wife's arena, and she's working right now, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kemble,

The E10 lacks the "vectoring jets" that the next models up have (with wall climbing ability) which enable them
to fully climb up and break the surface of the water.

The E10 however, WILL keep going and climbing until it becomes fully vertical at 90 degrees, then it pauses and backs up.
So for example, in the shallow end, it does not climb and misses about 1.5 feet (edited original post, I had said inches, but it's more like over a foot)
of wall under water.

The single control jet the E10 has (and a very powerful one) helps keep it to the floor and up steep slopping angle
style pool walls. Maytronics should have demonstrated this in their videos, but maybe they didn't want to, so more
people would purchase the wall climbing models.

I took a gamble that it would climb most of the deep end (My pool is only vertical in the last 12 or so inches under the water
in the deep end and the photo of it shows how far up it went) and it turned out to satisfy my requirement for cleaning.

If I was still at my last home with the plaster pool and straight up vertical walls, I would surely have needed to get a more expensive
model that is rated for wall climbing.

I see, so then I would need to get a model that is specifically meant for wall climbing then for my 15 x 30 above ground pool that has 90 degree vertical walls after the 8" slope at the bottom.

If you look at the youtube videos, you see it does go up the curved coves, then tilts up 90 degrees, pauses and backs away.

If you just want the floor clean, it will do the job. For vinyl lined pools this is satisfactory in my opinion. But if you have plaster
I'd spend more and get a wall climbing/scrubbing bot.

Our E10 (aka Einstein) does a 99% job on the floor and climbs the coved walls a bit; he's definitely not a reliable wall climber (our cove is not perfect either), but we have a great brush for the walls when need be, and we expected that going in. (Because we follow TFP, we have a pretty sparkly pool. Thank you!!)

I say 99% on floor because a corner exists (I know, we have an oval pool) opposite the cord feed that's ever so slightly too far away. If we could find a better location for the power supply, it would be 100%

I had been confused about the differences between the E10 and my Doheny Saturn. I believe the Saturn is a Dolphin Active 10, but it looks just like the E10. However, my Saturn definitely climbs walls and breaks the surface of the water to scrub the tile line. borjis' explanation above totally cleared up that my Saturn is not an E10 for me.

Regarding those fine filters, are they the same for my Saturn as they are the E10? Where does one find these?

Good luck finding the filters ready for shipping. Seems they are a hot item. I searched for a week without any luck so I'm going hope the dust levels stay low over the swim season.
9991460-ASSY Cartridge Assembly

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck finding the filters ready for shipping. Seems they are a hot item. I searched for a week without any luck so I'm going hope the dust levels stay low over the swim season.
9991460-ASSY Cartridge Assembly

I talked to rep from dolphin, and he told me that the dolphin e10 should come with the fine filter. The only thing I can think of is that I bought it online from doheys and the reason it is some much cheaper there is because it doesn't have the fine filter. I ended up talking to a couple dolphin dealers in kansas and they said they would let me know today if they could find one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.