Dolphin E10 Review

interesting. My Saturn from Doheny didn't come with fine filters either. They did give me a $30 store credit because they screwed up my order. I can only use said credit via phone orders. So I may call them and see if they can get me this.

mine did not come with the fine filter either from poolpartz.com

I think I can live without though....I don't get a whole heckuva lot of fine
dust in my pool. Just lots of fuzzy pine tree pollen nodules mostly and some
needles. It gets all that with the standard filter cart.

I received my E10 from Doheny's yesterday. I paid $399 with "free shipping" but they charge a handling fee and they do charge sales tax so my total was $428 which brought their price in line with a few others that advertise it for $429. It does have a mesh filter but the upgrade appears to be a pleated filter box. I ordered mine from Marina Pool & Spa for $69.99 plus $13 shipping. They are back ordered and it will ship June 25th.
As for the E10, it does a nice job cleaning the floor and yep, it will go up the walls but it doesn't seem to do it every time which I really don't mind. The standard filter does catch fine sand. I was pretty impressed with how it did with the standard filter basket and I'm really hopeful I'll be even more pleased with the ultra fine filter. I'll post a pic of the upgrade once it arrives. Now to get my old Aquabot Blaze on Craigslist.
I was on the Dolphin website viewing the two AG series cleaners offered and they showed an Active10 which I believe was replaced by the E10 as coming with standard and ultra fine filters.

Well count me in! I jumped on the Doheny's $399 sale. Found they have a promo code "7SAVE" (thru 6/19) which knocked $10 off which about completely covered the "handling" charge. So it ran $400.98! Not a bad way to get my feet wet, yuk yuk, in the robot world. I read all 560 posts of the Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club. And while that is a good bot my needs (as far as I can tell) don't warrant the extra $300. I would not leave it in my pool, Just bought a used Esther Williams 15x30 Carousel for the most part and wall cleaning I don't think would work real well. The EW pool wall is comprised of slats and on the inside of the pool the liner (with 1/4" wall foam under it) is not a smooth surface. It's almost scalloped for lack of a better description, not smooth. I don't know how well a bot would clean that. Scheduled cleaning while I'm not there does sound enticing I made the decision the extra cost is not worth it to me yet. My main purpose for a robotic cleaner would be to remove the detritus from the floor. Leaves, cottonwood tree fuzz, dirt and the stray bug. I think the E10 fits the bill at a reasonable entry level price. I was figuring I'd have to spend $500-$600 at least. I'll get it here and see how it cleans with the supplied filter basket and upgrade if my detritus is too fine. It doesn't sound like the other filters are easily obtained for a week or two at least anyway. Does anyone use a caddy? What is the correct one for this bot? The Maytronics site is not very helpful. I've seen 9996098 (9996096, 9996092), 9996087 mentioned for the Discovery and Active20. It sounds like the E10 is a Active10 so that's kinda a less featured Active20 so is the body size similar? I suppose I could whip something up based on a 2 wheel dolly. I sounds like I'm almost required to give the little guy a name...............

@wichita chief I got my ultra fine filter from a pool store in wichita. It was called Daves pool store. I believe the part number is 9991458-ASSY but you might check with them. It cost around $96 with shipping but if you live there it will probably be cheaper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am thinking of going with an E10 and a quick question regarding the filter for the e10 owners out there. Is there any possible way of putting in one of the hair nets (that we are all using in the filter baskets) in the e10 filter box for increased filtration?( in lieu of buying the ultra fine filter)

I am thinking of going with an E10 and a quick question regarding the filter for the e10 owners out there. Is there any possible way of putting in one of the hair nets (that we are all using in the filter baskets) in the e10 filter box for increased filtration?( in lieu of buying the ultra fine filter)
In thinking of the way this thing works I'd have to say no. There's an inlet flapper at the bottom of the filter box where the water flows in.

- - - Updated - - -

So far my only problem has been the robot winding around my pool ladder. My old Blaze didn't do that mostly because it traveled in straight lines. The E10 will move forward, stop, turn and move again which allows it to get behind and around my ladder. Clearly I don't have the safety block behind my ladder mostly because of water flow and my kids are older and all good swimmers but I might have to install it in order to keep the E10 from winding around my ladder.

Something I just noticed. In my pool the E10 seems to work better with the pool pump off. I normally ran my Blaze with the pump on. I was watching it operate and it seemed to not reach all the way across the pool but when I turned the pump off, it would travel the entire diameter of the pool without a problem. With the pump on the other thing I noticed is the current will carry the E10 if it does climb the wall a bit.

Don't think that is a viable option. Catch basket isn't that user friendly and the membrane is a lot less porous than the hair nets so I don't think that would help in removing micro solids.

My bot arrived yesterday. Tonight we needed to mow over where the pool is and another property we have. I stopped by the pool 1st and dropped the little guy in and set it about it's task as we left to mow and came back about an hour later. It was still working away. I mowed there and when I was done it was done with it's cycle and was parked waiting to be removed. The pool was noticeably cleaner. Before I started it the bottom was mainly free of debris but mainly had detritus in numerous places. ( I slacked off on my vacuuming last weekend knowing I was ordering this bot) The filter was way less full than I expected. It hardly had anything in it. It did pick up a few random leaf pieces and some other paint flakes (from the previous owners attempt at painting the walk around which is now flaking). I believe I will need to get the fine filter to trap the fine detritus which probably goes through the mesh of the included filter basket. I bet the dust will settle back down from being disturbed by the cleaner. All this is as expected. Use the OE mesh filter to catch the bigger stuff when opening in the spring and possibly in the fall when leaves and such are more prevalent. Then use the finer filter in the summer when the Kansas wind kicks up the dust and dirt and deposits it in the pool. I was waiting to try the mesh filter before I ordered the finer filter. Everyone indicates the "upgrade" filter is tough to come by so I figured I'd have to wait on it any way. I'll report back once I can run the other filter in it.

Yep Patrick, that is the filter. That vendor is about the ONLY place I have found to list and offer it. The price is good but it won't be available till next week. I'll contact them then to see if it became available.

This is what that upgraded filter 9991460-ASSY fits per the listing:

• Echo
  • S50
  • Active 10
  • Prowler 910
  • Saturn
  • Cayman
  • E10
  • Escape
  • Encore
  • Nautilus 99996153-US

Tomorrow I'll go run it some more and swim and get to watch it in action underwater!

I didn't realize you get a whole new filter assembly with those fine filters. I guess that makes the $65 price more reasonable. I really want to get a set of these for my Doheny Saturn. I've got some store credit with Dohenys, and though they don't list it on their website, I think I may give them a call and see if they can't get this for me. Otherwise I'll call marinapools.

Well shoot! Per Marina Pool and Spa when checking on the ultra fine filter today: "** Out of stock until mid July - orders placed now won't ship until then **" So much for "the week of June 25th". These things are harder to come by than an honest politician! I guess I'll have to spend the $84.99 INYOpools.com is asking. At least theirs says to be in stock! A $15.00 difference with free shipping is not worth the extra grief searching forever. By the way while I was looking the other day I found a 2015 maytronics newsletter which announced or talked about the "new upgrade" New feature! Filter upgrade kit for 2015 (basic) models - Maytronics - Exceptional Experience. In it the paragraph mentions the times to use each option.

An optimal clean is just a click away!

Use the filter net basket or canister at the beginning of the season, after your pool has been unused for a long period of time, or following stormy weather.
  • Switch to the Ultra-fine Filter Basket for regular cleaning during the swimming season, and enjoy crystal-clear, dirt-free and dust-free water.
  • Both filters simply click-in and out, making it easy to switch between them.
The net filter is designed to capture leaves and debris without clogging. The finer mesh on the Ultra-Fine Filter Basket captures the fine dust and dirt particles that accumulate on a daily basis. Ask your Dolphin dealer today about upgrading.

Last edited:
My new pleated type ultra fine filter upgrade is here! I dropped the E10 into the pool with the filter upgrade installed and I'm fairly impressed with what it picked up versus the standard mesh. The standard mesh did a good job but I think after about one more cleaning with the upgraded filter, my floor will be pretty much spotless and best of all, I didn't have to get out the pool vac and sweep it!
On a side note, since I have been turning the pool pump off, I haven't had any problem with the E10 getting twisted around the ladder going into the pool. The current while the pump is running really seems to push this thing around.
BTW from Wichita Chief's description above, the second bullet point isn't quite accurate. There is a piece that comes out of the bottom of the unit and a plastic piece that snaps in to switch from the standard basket to the upgraded basket. I don't think you can just drop in one or the other but the pieces snap in and come out pretty easily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.