My hubby is gonna have a fit! I think I ruined our liner!

Jun 22, 2009
Hi everyone :)

I made a few mistakes with my pool and I think they are going to cost me big time!

I used the BBB method with great success last year but didn't think to read up on how to close the pool properly. :roll: I just dumped a few extra gallons of bleach into it and covered the pool.

We opened our pool yesterday and we have three issues:

1) We only have 2.5 feet of water in the pool! My husband suspects a small slow leak in the liner somewhere. He suspected this last year.

2) There is a nasty brown ring that starts at the bottom of the pool walls and goes all the way up 2.5 feet. Never had this before. I'm thinking I missed an important step when I closed the pool (like adding algecide?) and this is my own fault. Hopefully it will come off with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser as someone on this website suggested. (Thank you!)

3) But the biggest issue is ..... a portion of our liner is slipping into the pool. It happened in the exact same spot last year and cost $75.00 to be fixed. Coincidentally (or not?) it's in the exact spot where I saw a neighborhood child standing on top of the pool wall and jumping off of it into the pool two years ago. A pool repairman is coming over today to fix it AGAIN :x My husband thinks it's my fault -- that when I cut the excess liner off that was hanging all around the pool with a razor and putty knife that I cut too much off. It was fine for 4 years though and if that was the casue I'd think it would be slipping into the pool in more than just one spot.

So all of you knowledgable pool owners out there, I ask you ...

Would you try to salvage this liner or just cut your loses and get a new one??

I took pics of these issues this morning and can attach them in an email to anyone who wants to see them. I was unable to successfully attach them to this post.

Thank you!! 8)
Jeannie
(who is no longer allowed to use putty knifes or razors and promises to read up on how to close a pool!)

(I've not used algaecide in the pool in two years when closing - opened to crystal clear water both times. I don't think that's the cause.) Let us know how the eraser goes.

RE: pics

The easiest way to attach a pic is to open a Photobucket.com or similar account (free.) Upload your photos there (choose the "large" size when you upload). Then when the photo is uploaded to their site, they give you four codes. One says IMG. You copy and past the IMG code into your post here, and the pic appears. It may sound complex but it's really not...)

Picsofpool002.jpg

Ok, the neighbour's kid had nothing to do with the liner slipping, but frost did - just remove the top rail, hang it back over, pinch it again, reinstall the rail and call it a day.
The brown stain is called dirt - don't magic eraser it, just use a pool liner cleaner and sponge - much better on the liner than the abrasives in the eraser.
Your hole will most likely be within the first three inches below the current water line.

BTW - you probably closed your pool just fine - winter has a nasty habit of breaking things left outside, not your fault.

Matt & Dave,

I'll definitely be taking your advice. Thanks for the input. I talked my husband into getting this pool based upon the agreement that I would be taking care of all the chemical and other various needs. Unfortunately I'm clueless, well not TOTALLY clueless .... I'm learning more and more each time I log onto this great website. I will get some pool liner cleaner and clean the stains off. Now I'm off to see if I can find that small tear in the liner. I also just purchased an electric pool cleaner to eliminate the tedious chore of vacuuming the pool constantly. With all the neighborhood kids swimming here all summer AND the fact we have woods all around the pool, it can get quite dirty. I have to constantly vacuum this pool. Well, not anymore! :-D

Thanks guys!

Jeannie 8)

One last question, (for now!) :)

Being only 5'5 it's hard to see really well over the side of my AG pool walls to search for the liner tear that I suspect is causing my water level to drop.

Part of me thinks I should brave it and go in there to get a better look. But guys, there is mosquito larve in the pool, and a few worms were spotted. I mean, look at the pics. It's gross in there!

Would it be easier to find this suspected liner tear by going in there now with the water being low, or should we top off the pool with clean water, shock the he** out of it, run the filter a few hours and THEN go in there?

Thanks!
Jeannie 8)
(Who is tempted to borrow her dads wading boots that he wears when he fishes!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a TIME OUT seat for a child that jumps off my rails! Once I catch ya, there is a warning. Second time ya do it, YOU'RE OUTTA THE POOL! :rant:

Do it again and you can find another place to swim!

As far as the hole, I'd check the walls as you scrub them. If you can't find a hole on the wall, check the seams. Good luck finding it!

Jeannie in CT said:
One last question, (for now!) :)

Part of me thinks I should brave it and go in there to get a better look. But guys, there is mosquito larve in the pool, and a few worms were spotted. I mean, look at the pics. It's gross in there!

(Who is tempted to borrow her dads wading boots that he wears when he fishes!)

wading boots would be good or get a couple of 50 gal. garbage bags and duck tape them around each leg (with each leg in each bag).

Pool liner update:

The repairman came out and said it's beyond repair. We were forced to order a new one today. We bought the thickest vinyl liner you can buy, and it has a really pretty pattern to it. It's gorgeous AND durable. :party:

Stupid question: Once the new liner is in, and we've filled the pool with fresh water from the hose (city water), do I have to test the water right away and potentially add borax or bleach before the kids can even swim? Or should the water be theoretically good for a few days?

Thank you!
Jeannie 8)

You can test your tap water from the faucet in preparation for what you'll be dealing with.

You should at the very least have 2ppm FC in the pool before they swim, allowing it to circulate for 30 minutes.

I would begin balancing immediately that night, I wouldn't wait more than one day you will have green cloudy water on your hands fairly quickly.

You'll know you will need bleach,
You know you'll need to add CYA.

Adding CYA doesn't mean kids can't swim.

If your PH and TA are off, that can be adjusted relatively easily and still allow same day swimming.

I would err on the side of prevention, it's alot easier to manage things than to let it go green and be forced to deal with shocking....

Thank you!

I tested for cyanuric acid with my Walmart test kit and I'm not getting any reading. The water is crystal clear. Does this mean I have no CYA at all and need to add some? I assume I can only purchase this at a pool store?

Also, my new test kit does not test for FC. Only total chlorine. Is that a problem? I'll be sure the pool tests at least 2ppm of chlorine before I let the kids swim, if you think that is sufficient.

Thank you!
Jeannie 8)

Hi Jeannie, I was afraid a new liner would be your only choice. Once you run out of liner to pull back over the wall there is not much you can do. With your new liner I would fold the excess liner back into the pool leaving an even 2" overhang on the outside. This thickens the liner going over the wall therefore helping to reduce the slipping you experienced. It also means you will not be cutting off any excess liner and wishing you hadn't years later.

If you had the extra liner tucked back into the pool your current repairs would be as easy as Matt said in a post above, except you would have the liner to work with, making it possible.

Later, Dennis

Thanks for that info Dennis. I'm OK with having to get the new liner. It has a "glimmerglass" design and is incredibly pretty as far as liners go. Being a dark blue liner, my friends have told me that it will make my pool water look even cleaner and more inviting. I can't wait to see the difference.

This new liner, is by The Vinyl Works and is a 25 guage liner which is really thick. It's a V-Bead installation type, so there won't be any unsightly overhang. Sometimes the lessons we learn in life are costly. I'll never touch a liner again! :roll:

Jeannie 8)

UPDATE:

I ordered the TF100 test kit yesterday and it is on it's way! :whoot:

Can I use the chemicals from the Walmart test kit I just bought with my new TF100 test kit? Or should I just toss all the chems that came with my Walmart test kit.

P.S. I was wrong. Hubby DIDN'T have a fit afterall. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.