cant maintain chlorine on startup drain water each season

May 25, 2009
We have an 18X36 vinyl lined pool. Each year when I open I have this issue for 6-7 years. I will shock it and next day there will not be any chlorine level. I opened pool this year(which was crystal clear when cover pulled off) and put in 3 bags shock. Next day no chlorine. Next day I put one pound in and was 5ppm 1 1/2 hour later no chlorine. Could this be chlorine lock? I am told I have nitrates which I am told are caused by fertilizer or decomposing animals. I have never found any dead animals just some worms about 30 and leaves. As a reference my neighbor has just as many worms, dead voles snakes etc and no issue. I have a solid fence with little greenery around the pool. I checked pitch of concrete and rainwater flows away from the pool. I had a mesh cover and switched to solid with no help. What I do each season is drain about 10-12 inches below skimmer 4-6 times and refill. Then the pool will act normal for the rest of the year , but when I open the following year the issues come back. Any ideas, I bought the nitrate test strips and I dont get much of a reading on them so not sure if that is the real issue, I dont have confidence in poolm store. Is there a lab I can send my water to to get a definative answer.

We believe in testing your own water and never trusting a pool store again.

There is no such thing as chlorine lock...my best guess is that all the magic potions the pool store has sold you over the years have raised your CYA level to unmanageable levels.

Without a real test kit, you will never know.

We believe in testing your own water and never trusting a pool store again.

There is no such thing as chlorine lock...my best guess is that all the magic potions the pool store has sold you over the years have raised your CYA level to unmanageable levels.

Without a real test kit, you will never know.

CYA test fine before pool closing. If that is the case why before I close pool it is running fine. Over the winter something is happening to cause me issues. Just trying to understand....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.