The kids' feet

May 23, 2009
Every year, we have a bunch of kids in the pool for parties. After a few hours, some of the kids have blisters and cuts on their feet.

I'm pretty sure that the problems are caused by a combination of being in the water for a long time and walking (not running!) on the concrete deck.

Could scale be a factor? Or, anything else in the water?

Anyone else have this problem or know what I could do to fix it?

What is your pool made of?

When i was a kid, I would spend hours in the neighborhood community pool which was concrete. My toes would split something awful. So the concrete and softened skin was my problem.

I can swim all day in our vinyl pool and never have an issue. I would think it's more surface related than water chem related.

But whaddaiknow?

When playing very active games in our concrete pool, the skin on my big toe gets pretty tore up. I don't think its water chemistry but just too much friction from running and jumping, etc. No big deal in my opinion.

Marcite and aggregate finishes are often rough and will cause scrapes and cuts. Also, if the plaster is only a year or two old it is still giving off caustic alkali material so standing on the surface for an extended period of time adds to the problem.

Used to happen to us as kids at the beginning of the season (plaster pool). After a few days the toes toughened up. Our kids now get cuts/etc on their feet - sometimes the tops. I think it's from climbing out in the deep end (not at the 'ledge') They must be climbing up the side a bit.

What does not kill you makes you stronger -- it'll get better. If not, I agree witht he earlier post that swim-slippers (or whatever they are called) are great. Also safer around on the deck as they have a great grip on the bottom.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.