Variable Speed Pool Pumps

May 23, 2017
New Jersey
hello!

new pool owner here. my 1hp hayward super pump just died. i want to replace it with a pentair superflo variable speed pump. my pool guy says that variable speed pumps are no good, fail to prime and don't last. he says that the pentair superflo vs in particular is the worst. his recommendation is to go with another single speed hayward super pump.

i've done a lot of research regarding variable speed pumps online and i don't see too many complaints regarding the pumps failing to prime or breaking down too soon. am i missing something? my pool guy feels VERY strongly against variable speed pumps. this makes me nervous because obviously he has experience and i do not.

what's the consensus out here on variable speed pumps? any owners with bad experiences?

thanks in advance for any input!

- - - Updated - - -

my in-ground pool is about 22000 gallons, one skimmer, 2 returns. very simple setup.

Welcome to TFP we are happy you are here.

Get a new pool guy yours is very behind the times or under-informed... The superflo VS is a great pump and has nothing but glowing reviews here myself being one of them.

Try this ask your pool guy how he feels about a, single speed or 2-speed, Pentair superflo pump or Hayward super pump. They are basically the same pump in terms of performance. He's all for those pumps and they don't have any problems priming or failing right?

The VS version of both those pumps is the same exact wet end with a different motor it. There is no difference in priming performance because the wet end of the pump doesn't change. The only thing a VS motor does is allow you to pick the rpm to run at after the pump is primed which save you money on your electric bill. A priming issue isn't a pump problem its a plumbing problem. In general the only time a pump looses prime is if there is a leak in the plumbing.

A VS pump will also have a built in electronic timer and program. With a VS pump you don't use a separate pump timer.

If you end up going with a VS pump make sure to check with your utility company for rebates on energy efficient pool pumps. Often times the rebates are 2-300 dollars on VS pumps.

If you have any more questions about the pumps we will be happy to help you out.

e,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for combating the pool pump myths. :shark:

How old is your pool guy?

I have three Pentair IntelliFlo pumps that have been running 24/7 for the past three years. I love them. If one failed today, I would have a new in my hands tomorrow.

To run one at 1,200 RPM, 24/7, cost me less than $20 a month.

That said, they all have electronic controllers that regular single speed pumps do not have. This certainly adds the possibility of failure. This can be kept at a minimum by installing a surge protector at your equipment pad.

I went through two Hayward single speed Super pumps, at a couple of rent house, before going with the IntelliFlo pumps. Never again will I own a single speed pump.

Thanks for posting and good luck with your pump selection,

Jim R.

I went with a SuperFlo VS pump for my pool. Works well. I like the controls and the savings. IntelliFlo would have been better but I couldn't justify the cost. My only complaint is the noise. This is only my second pool pump ever so I don't have much to compare it too. Both were pretty loud IMO.

I went with a SuperFlo VS pump for my pool. Works well. I like the controls and the savings. IntelliFlo would have been better but I couldn't justify the cost. My only complaint is the noise. This is only my second pool pump ever so I don't have much to compare it too. Both were pretty loud IMO.

I'm surprised about the noise. My new Hayward VS pump is quieter than the single speed pump it replaced.

Pro,

If you can hear that pump then I suspect you are running it way too fast. At 1,200 RPM, my IntelliFlo is so quite that I almost have to touch it to make sure the darn thing is still running.

What speeds do you normally run?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Same here when my pump is at 1400 I've been freaked out more than once that the pump stopped working because it's so quiet. I think profector might have a suction side leak making the pump noisy​.

Pro,

If you can hear that pump then I suspect you are running it way too fast. At 1,200 RPM, my IntelliFlo is so quite that I almost have to touch it to make sure the darn thing is still running.

What speeds do you normally run?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I agree that low speeds it is quiet, but 1200 doesn't work for every one. I switched from a 3hp single speed motor. I tried the lower speeds and I found that my in line chlorine feeder wasn't getting enough flow to keep the chlorine level up.

LOVE my Pentair SuperFlo VS, which I used to replace a working (4 month old) 1HP single speed Pentair SuperFlo. Now that spring is here, I am typically running at 1400 RPM, but will run as low as 800 RPM. If want extra fast cleaning, will bump up to full 3450, but that is rare.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run my Jandy epump 1.5hp at about 1500 overnight. Any less and the salt generator sometimes stops working. The variable speed pump is really nice, but if the pump fails its that much more expensive to replace, and there is a lot more to fail on a variable speed pump.

I agree that low speeds it is quiet, but 1200 doesn't work for every one. I switched from a 3hp single speed motor. I tried the lower speeds and I found that my in line chlorine feeder wasn't getting enough flow to keep the chlorine level up.

Off topic, but in line chlorine feeder is a red flag for problems if you are using tablets.
Tablets will raise your stabilizer levels way too high.

A more important factor should be how well that speed will keep the pool circulating and the surface skimmed. It's a different subject, but using that source for your only method of chlorinating will lead to trouble, and it doesn't have to be the determining factor in where you run the pump. Mine will skim ok at that speed...until the filter gets dirty. Then I need to backwash or add more speed. Really its too low for mine, but each pool has its own nuances.

thanks for all the feedback guys!

i am just mystified why this particular pool company is so dead set against variable speed pumps.

thanks again.

You know its like that with a lot of things. Seems to boil down to places sell you what they know and feel comfortable with, irregardless of other options out there. I could see the headache factor of pool companies not liking VS pumps because they require a little more understanding than a simple single speed pump. You do have to make sure that a) a booster pump will work with a given rpm, b) Rpm is high enough for solar panels, c) the lower rpm run times means the pool gets skimmed, etc... So a little more setup and configuration.

IMO it's still a immature pool company to give that advice. Any "respectable" company should provide facts and options and price accordingly if it involves more work at set up and/or installation.VS pumps are here to stay and no doubt will phase out single speed pumps in the near future. Prices have been on the decline and the industry has clearly accepted them with open hands. Get a new pool co or pool man OP, you deserve that at the very least.

A VS pump for filtering is a no brainer. You'll have almost infinite options for setting RPM and scheduling run times, and it will make it a snap to dial it in for optimum circulation at the lowest energy use. Add in the rebates offered by most electric companies, and there is basically no reason to get a single speed pump, except maybe to run separately plumbed accessories.

thanks for all the input!

i've been given a quote of $400-500 to install the VS pump (labor only). that seems very high to me. i was under the impression that around $200 was a fair price for installation of a pool pump. anyone have any information to share about your installation cost?

i was also told that because the pentair superflo vs is a different pump than the hayward superpump, it requires more plumbing and electrical work. I read that the superflo is designed to be a drop-in replacement for the hayward, so shouldn't it be fairly easy to install?

thanks all!

I fail to see how it could possibly require more plumbing. At worst you would need an adapter to link 1.5" pipe to a 2" connector, if that is even an issue. As far as electrical work goes, some pumps are 110 some are 220. If you are wired with a 115 capacity and buy a 220 pump then yes you would need a little electrical work other than hooking it up. You should be able to go to Pentair and Hayward websites and look up the specs for the pumps you are considering so you can compare them yourself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.