I put too much PH minus into my pool...

Jun 25, 2009
Um, I'm really very embarassed by this, but I think I made a very bad mistake when I was reading the directions to this PH minus stuff I got for the pool.

I am a new pool owner, and I accidentally put 7 pounds of ph minus (Sodium Bisulfate 92%, and 8% inert ingredients) instead of 8 ounces..

short question is, should I drain this pool or is there some way to salvage this major screw up? sorry if this is kinda pushy for my fiorst post, but I just did this and then saw the ounces instead of pounds, and then kinda freaked googling without any answers popping up and then found this place.

I appreciate and thank you for any and all help offered to this, my pool is 5200 or so gallons of water.

5200 gallons is a lot of water to dump :cry: ...if this just happened you can try to counterbalance with a mix of 20mule team borax...up to 50ppm

according to poolcalculator..assuming your PH was in the vicinity of 8 (since you added ph minus...i'm guessing) you can buy 3 boxes of 20 mule team 4.5lb boxes...add 2 boxes...let it circulate and the test in 2 hours...adjust from there with your third box...added benefit = your borate level will end up around 30ppm :goodjob:

try it out...better than wasting 5200 gallons of water

7 lbs of ph minus in the water. I doubt 3 boxes of borax are going to do anything to counterbalance that. I could be wrong,though. But assuming it's so acidic that they cannot even get a ph reading from the overdosing, so even starting at ph of 0 it would take 199 boxes of borax to increase ph to 7 in 5500 gallons of water - according to The Pool Calculator.

My first thought was, are you sure the vinyl liner hasn't melted away?

I don't know. To me 5500 gallons of water equals about $75.00 on my water bill.

buggs...7lbs dropped the OPs PH to somewhere around 6...3 boxes =13.5lbs which would get it back up. Are you saying 7lb (112oz) of PH minus would have dropped his PH down to 0? I am trying to understand your post.

To cancel out 7 lbs of dry acid (PH Down) you need to add 5 1/3 lbs of Borax. That will put you back exactly where you started. Since the original goal was to lower the PH, adding only one box of borax (4 3/4 lbs) will get quite close to the original goal.

dmanb2b said:
buggs...7lbs dropped the OPs PH to somewhere around 6...3 boxes =13.5lbs which would get it back up. Are you saying 7lb (112oz) of PH minus would have dropped his PH down to 0? I am trying to understand your post.

Well, yes. Last night, I swear I checked the Pool Calc and thought it said it would drop it way down. When you posted, I looked at the page again. Don't know what the heck, but today, I pulled it up again and ran the numbers and well it tells me it would have dropped it 3.42. Not good, but not as bad as I initially thought. So sorry for the confusion.

I will never, ever doubt you again dmanb2b. You set me straight. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.