Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I put too much PH minus into my pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

I put too much PH minus into my pool...

Um, I'm really very embarassed by this, but I think I made a very bad mistake when I was reading the directions to this PH minus stuff I got for the pool.

I am a new pool owner, and I accidentally put 7 pounds of ph minus (Sodium Bisulfate 92%, and 8% inert ingredients) instead of 8 ounces..

short question is, should I drain this pool or is there some way to salvage this major screw up? sorry if this is kinda pushy for my fiorst post, but I just did this and then saw the ounces instead of pounds, and then kinda freaked googling without any answers popping up and then found this place.

I appreciate and thank you for any and all help offered to this, my pool is 5200 or so gallons of water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I put too much PH minus into my pool...

Yes, I think I would dump the water and start over.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3

5200 gallons is a lot of water to dump ...if this just happened you can try to counterbalance with a mix of 20mule team borax...up to 50ppm

according to poolcalculator..assuming your PH was in the vicinity of 8 (since you added ph minus...i'm guessing) you can buy 3 boxes of 20 mule team 4.5lb boxes...add 2 boxes...let it circulate and the test in 2 hours...adjust from there with your third box...added benefit = your borate level will end up around 30ppm

try it out...better than wasting 5200 gallons of water
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

alright, ty, I'll give it a shot, and see if I can salvage it, and if not, out goes the water.

thank you again.

5. Back To Top    #5

7 lbs of ph minus in the water. I doubt 3 boxes of borax are going to do anything to counterbalance that. I could be wrong,though. But assuming it's so acidic that they cannot even get a ph reading from the overdosing, so even starting at ph of 0 it would take 199 boxes of borax to increase ph to 7 in 5500 gallons of water - according to The Pool Calculator.

My first thought was, are you sure the vinyl liner hasn't melted away?

I don't know. To me 5500 gallons of water equals about $75.00 on my water bill.
    Buggs

Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

6. Back To Top    #6

buggs...7lbs dropped the OPs PH to somewhere around 6...3 boxes =13.5lbs which would get it back up. Are you saying 7lb (112oz) of PH minus would have dropped his PH down to 0? I am trying to understand your post.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

7. Back To Top    #7

To cancel out 7 lbs of dry acid (PH Down) you need to add 5 1/3 lbs of Borax. That will put you back exactly where you started. Since the original goal was to lower the PH, adding only one box of borax (4 3/4 lbs) will get quite close to the original goal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    buggs...7lbs dropped the OPs PH to somewhere around 6...3 boxes =13.5lbs which would get it back up. Are you saying 7lb (112oz) of PH minus would have dropped his PH down to 0? I am trying to understand your post.
    Well, yes. Last night, I swear I checked the Pool Calc and thought it said it would drop it way down. When you posted, I looked at the page again. Don't know what the heck, but today, I pulled it up again and ran the numbers and well it tells me it would have dropped it 3.42. Not good, but not as bad as I initially thought. So sorry for the confusion.

I will never, ever doubt you again dmanb2b. You set me straight.
    Buggs

9. Back To Top    #9

No worries...buggs, I just thought maybe I was giving bad info...all good...I'm curious to see if the Borax worked