Can I raise CYA with bags of shock?

Mar 21, 2017
Duncan, Oklhoma
We have gotten a flooding amount of rain the past week and im having trouble. My CYA is at 0 and I tried adding 12 oz of dichlor powder to the pool last night and it didn't raise my CYA at all. I don't want to wait a week for conditioner to ship out to me. Can I use something from Walmart or even bags of shock to raise CYA?

Yes, Wal-Mart should have HTH brand granular stabilizer for about $16 for a 4lb bottle. I'd use that. The bags will take too long. Not sure how you are testing, but just make sure your CYA truly is zero. CYA testing should be done at home with the proper test kit. :)

We have gotten a flooding amount of rain the past week and im having trouble. My CYA is at 0 and I tried adding 12 oz of dichlor powder to the pool last night and it didn't raise my CYA at all. I don't want to wait a week for conditioner to ship out to me. Can I use something from Walmart or even bags of shock to raise CYA?

Walmart sells CYA. It's sold as "stabilizer"......just check your ingredient......looking for 99%+Cyuranic acid.

But yes.....dichlor and trichlor do contain CYA too. You can use poolmath to see how much 16 oz of dichlor would raise CYA.

I use my Taylor kit. It fills all the way to the top and I can still see dot clearly. Does that mean 0? Thanks for the help I'll go buy that tomorrow! Will 4lbs be enough?

Mikayla, have you used pool math? There is a link at the top of the web page. Plug in your pool size in gallons along with current numbers and target numbers and it will tell you how much of just about anything to add to reach a target. There is also a part at the bottom of the poolmath page where you can estimate the results of adding different quantities of chemicals.

Check it out ;)

It shows both ? I see it.

It says add.....by weight or.....by volume OR
Add......of liquid stabilizer

Those granules from Walmart are probably much cheaper than any liquid. I've only ever used the granules :)

If you only added it last night, it can take a day or two to show up.

Also 12 ounces of dichlor adds less than 8 ppm of cya to a 6k gallon pool. Not enough to show on the test. To get up to 40 ppm you need to add 12 ounces of dichlor 4 more times, or just add 26 oz (weight) of stabilizer.

With Dichlor, for every 1ppm added to FC you will add 0.9ppm to CYA. With Trichlor, for every 1ppm added to FC you will add 0.6ppm to CYA.

At that rate it will take a long time to add 30ppm of CYA. The HTH granular CYA is your best bet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I find Dichlor a good option when you are opening a swamp with zero CYA and zero FC. The CYA in dichlor seems to dissolve almost instantly which is good if you need to backwash frequently in a swap situation. Also remember dichlor will lower your pH rather quickly so keep an eye on it. However, if your pool is clear I think regular solid stabilizer and liquid chlorine/bleach is a cheaper option than using dichlor to raise CYA.

I recommend using stabilizer separately to get your CYA. It's a lot easier and more cost effective.

Even if you already own the bags of dichlor, you're likely going to spend more money on CYA reagent trying to get CYA levels to where you want them using dichlor With the stabilizer, you just have to add and test a few days to a week later.

I know this is old but I added the correct amount of stabilizer to my pool last Saturday and my CYA is still showing 0. Should I wait longer to see if it changes? The bottom of my pool turns orangy brown if I don't vacuum it every other day. I put the recommended amount of bleach in for a CYA of 0 so I don't know what to do until my CYA goes up

That is odd your stabilizer is not showing up. Did you use PoolMath to determine how much to add? Did you add via the sock method or sprinkle into the skimmer? The sock method is the recommended way.

If you truly have no CYA in the water, the chlorine you are adding is disappearing in minutes once the sun shines on the pool.

Double check on the CYA -- would hate for you to add more and then over shoot.

Take care.

Did you backwash within two days of adding it? Is your filter pressure high enough to get it dissolved in the filter (not running a pump on low speed)? If your water is cold it can slow the reaction and give your a false negative, bring in a cup of water and let it sit until it's room temperature if that's the case.

24 ounces of stabilizer should get you from 0 to 30 ppm which should be readable on the test

Hmm. Your 24 oz should have added 30PPM CYA to your 6000 gallon pool. It would be odd if the CYA test was not at least cloudy at the 30ppm mark.

I would suggest placing 16 oz of stabilizer (CYA) into a tube sock or panty hose, tie it shut, and hang it in front of your return jet. When it is fully dissolved, check your CYA 24 hours later.

I would also suggest raising our SLAM FC to 12, and maintain that until you get your new CYA reading.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.