Sand coming out of return

Ok, well everything is done*. There are 3 unions on now and the pump sounds totally different. It doesn't have a screeching sound to it and there are no air bubbles coming into the pump strainer basket anymore. So, I hooked up the vacuum and it still wouldn't fully prime. I tried opening the 2nd skimmer a little and when I did this the pump fully primed, but the suction was too weak on the vacuum. I covered the hole almost completely up and the pump still was primed and the suction was good! I am just losing a lot of water vacuuming to waste so I have to stop every so often and let the water level go back up, but it's working. Thanks for all the help!!!

*There's one small detail to note here. I called the pool guy weeks ago and wanted to change out the sand, check for leaks, and put on unions. He never called to confirm so I assumed he wasn't going to come. Well, I got home Friday and everything was done. I guess he got the message. If I would have known he was coming I wouldn't have asked for all the help. I'm sorry for wasting anyone's time. :cry:

I just noticed that there's still a leak. It looks likes it's coming from where the pump bolts on to the strainer basket. It's dripping from there. Is there a gasket or something that goes between the two?

Don't worry about wasting our time - next time someone has a similar problem we can just link this thread and save time retyping the info :cool: I'm sure that there are some folks who read this therad that no longer need to ask a question because you asked it for them :)

What is the most probable issue with the pump is the shaft seal assembly I talked about above. Fortunately, I anticipated this seal being bad and provided instructions on how to replace one on your Superpump :wink: :mrgreen: If the assembly replacement gives you any trouble, let me know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.