Need a refresher from last year to see if I am doing things right

ionizer

Gold Supporter
Jun 7, 2016
Marlboro, NJ
Hi everyone, followed all the great advice last year and lead to a crystal free pool.

I have a mesh cover and opened up this past Saturday to a nice green colored pool. So I thus began to follow the SLAM process after running my initial test:

PH: 8.0 (or higher)
CYA: 80 (yes I know this is high and i will likely have to lose some pool water and refill, but nonetheless I attempted SLAM based on CYA/FC levels)
FC: 8
CC: 1.5 (i know high, but pool was green, so expected, right?)
TA: 60 (going off memory at the moment)
Hardness: Didn't test yet - figured I need to focus on slamming first, right?

So based on CYA level, I needed to get FC up to 31. Thus, based on pool size, I added 6 128oz of 12% liquid chlorine.

My pump was showing pressure over my red gauge (which i think is difficult to figure out anyway since I have a variable pump) so I backwashed, rinsed and put 2 more scoops of DE in.

My pool went from green to a hazy blue within about 24 hours. This morning I woke up (~36 hours since opening and slamming) and it is still a hazy blue. I've not had time yet to re-run my tests, but just wanted assurance I was moving in the right direction.

Is this to be expected at this point? Do I just need to give a nice 48 hours for the SLAM process to do its thing? Hazy blue is better than green, right?

Hi everyone, followed all the great advice last year and lead to a crystal free pool.

I have a mesh cover and opened up this past Saturday to a nice green colored pool. So I thus began to follow the SLAM process after running my initial test:

PH: 8.0 (or higher)
CYA: 80 (yes I know this is high and i will likely have to lose some pool water and refill, but nonetheless I attempted SLAM based on CYA/FC levels)
FC: 8
CC: 1.5 (i know high, but pool was green, so expected, right?)
TA: 60 (going off memory at the moment)
Hardness: Didn't test yet - figured I need to focus on slamming first, right?

So based on CYA level, I needed to get FC up to 31. Thus, based on pool size, I added 6 128oz of 12% liquid chlorine.

My pump was showing pressure over my red gauge (which i think is difficult to figure out anyway since I have a variable pump) so I backwashed, rinsed and put 2 more scoops of DE in.

My pool went from green to a hazy blue within about 24 hours. This morning I woke up (~36 hours since opening and slamming) and it is still a hazy blue. I've not had time yet to re-run my tests, but just wanted assurance I was moving in the right direction.

Is this to be expected at this point? Do I just need to give a nice 48 hours for the SLAM process to do its thing? Hazy blue is better than green, right?
Are you saying that you added 6 gallons of chlorine 36 hours ago, and haven't yet retested the water? Did you at least lower your pH to 7.2?

A SLAM is not a once time "shock-and-pray" approach. The FC level must be maintained the duration of the SLAM until you pass all three criteria to complete the SLAM.

I suggest you re-read the SLAM process:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Your pool did not go green overnight, you can't expect it to clear overnight.

Are you saying that you added 6 gallons of chlorine 36 hours ago, and haven't yet retested the water? Did you at least lower your pH to 7.2?

A SLAM is not a once time "shock-and-pray" approach. The FC level must be maintained the duration of the SLAM until you pass all three criteria to complete the SLAM.

I suggest you re-read the SLAM process:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Your pool did not go green overnight, you can't expect it to clear overnight.

Yes, unfortunately I did put the chlorine in about Saturday ~6pm EDT, a few hours after it was opened and because I was not home on Sunday (and at work today Monday) I haven't been able to retest again. I plan on doing so tonight, but it wont be until 7pm, about a full 48 hours later. I thought I would be better off giving it a first SLAM rather then doing nothing for 48 hours until i would first be able to check FC loss overnight. Should I have just done nothing knowing i wouldn't be able to check until Monday night? I thought this was better than doing nothing, but maybe I am wrong.

I realize it is definitely not a shock and pray approach and have done the SLAM for 4 days last year. My only question was not so much am i doing it right but was a "cloudy blue" pool means. I'm used to it being green and impossible to see through, to lighter green and slowly transition to blue.

It really did go from green overnight to hazy blue. Is hazy blue an indication of anything or just that I approached the right direction, but obviously still need to do the overnight test.

- - - Updated - - -

with respect to the PH:

the FC was at 8 after the pool opening guys did their thing. Thus, I thought the approach was to SLAM then worry about PH. Should I have worried about PH before slamming? I just re-read the SLAM process before posting and it indicated i should have focused on my PH, but I thought since the FC was already at 8 that maybe it was not reliable to test the PH....but maybe b/c my CYA is 80 that FC 8 of is not too high and that my PH is still a reliable reading

When you test your water tonight, if your FC level is below 10 then test your PH and adjust it first. Then you can officially start your SLAM.

thanks. If it is >10 are you thus suggesting I just wait until it is <10 to test PH again?

So:
If tonight FC <10 - Test Ph, Adjust PH until proper then begin SLAM
Else If FC > 10, do nothing & wait until FC <10 ?

- - - Updated - - -

If you are manually chlorinating right now would be a great opportunity to lower your cya by draining some water via vacuuming to waste etc. Then as the doc said lower your pH to 7.2 and hit the slam.

ok so you suggest draining some water ...but then should I add more water or are you saying perform PH adjustment and SLAM with lower water and then later add more water? I ask b/c if I vacuum water to waste, in theory my total # of gallons will be less, but i wont really know by how much less other than guessing which would mess up all other measurements

If you plan to reduce cya by draining some water, do that first. Then lower PH, then SLAM.

If you don't drain, test and lower PH once FC is below 10 (which probably will already be) and then SLAM.

thanks, but when would I add the missing water back in? immediately after draining or are you saying dont even bother doing that until all balanced? My fear is I won't know my proper "gallons" once draining some of my water and thus slamming will be inaccurate without a definitive # of gallons.

Yes, unfortunately I did put the chlorine in about Saturday ~6pm EDT, a few hours after it was opened and because I was not home on Sunday (and at work today Monday) I haven't been able to retest again. I plan on doing so tonight, but it wont be until 7pm, about a full 48 hours later. I thought I would be better off giving it a first SLAM rather then doing nothing for 48 hours until i would first be able to check FC loss overnight. Should I have just done nothing knowing i wouldn't be able to check until Monday night? I thought this was better than doing nothing, but maybe I am wrong.

I realize it is definitely not a shock and pray approach and have done the SLAM for 4 days last year. My only question was not so much am i doing it right but was a "cloudy blue" pool means. I'm used to it being green and impossible to see through, to lighter green and slowly transition to blue.

It really did go from green overnight to hazy blue. Is hazy blue an indication of anything or just that I approached the right direction, but obviously still need to do the overnight test.

- - - Updated - - -

with respect to the PH:

the FC was at 8 after the pool opening guys did their thing. Thus, I thought the approach was to SLAM then worry about PH. Should I have worried about PH before slamming? I just re-read the SLAM process before posting and it indicated i should have focused on my PH, but I thought since the FC was already at 8 that maybe it was not reliable to test the PH....but maybe b/c my CYA is 80 that FC 8 of is not too high and that my PH is still a reliable reading
I'm just trying to understand what you are calling a "SLAM". A SLAM is not a one time addition of chlorine... What you did was super-chlorinate the pool, and while I'm sure it did kill off some algae spores, it is hardly a proper SLAM. Your OP reads that you expected a clear pool in 48 hours with only one addition of chlorine.

...................... Do I just need to give a nice 48 hours for the SLAM process to do its thing? Hazy blue is better than green, right?

As far as your pH......

............. the FC was at 8 after the pool opening guys did their thing. Thus, I thought the approach was to SLAM then worry about PH. Should I have worried about PH before slamming?..........

From the SLAM procedure prerequisites:

"Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start."

Yes, you should have worried about the pH.

If you are going to SLAM the pool, you really need to check and dose chlorine throughout the day, the more often the better, so you can maintain the FC at SLAM level. I always recommend that during the week try to check/dose at least 4 times a day, once in the morning before work, once when home from work, once after dinner, once before bed.

And make sure that you brush the pool thoroughly during the SLAM, at least once a day.

Again, please have a refresher read through of the SLAM article I posted a link to. It needs to be followed to the "T" if you want the quick results you are looking for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm just trying to understand what you are calling a "SLAM". A SLAM is not a one time addition of chlorine... What you did was super-chlorinate the pool, and while I'm sure it did kill off some algae spores, it is hardly a proper SLAM. Your OP reads that you expected a clear pool in 48 hours with only one addition of chlorine.

As far as your pH......

From the SLAM procedure prerequisites:

"Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start."

Yes, you should have worried about the pH.

If you are going to SLAM the pool, you really need to check and dose chlorine throughout the day, the more often the better, so you can maintain the FC at SLAM level. I always recommend that during the week try to check/dose at least 4 times a day, once in the morning before work, once when home from work, once after dinner, once before bed.

And make sure that you brush the pool thoroughly during the SLAM, at least once a day.

Again, please have a refresher read through of the SLAM article I posted a link to. It needs to be followed to the "T" if you want the quick results you are looking for.

thanks for the feedback. I definitely knew I wasn't doing the full SLAM, but I thought starting it out would be good. However, I clearly missed the part that a FC of 8 doesn't warrant not getting the pH in line and skipping that step.

I also didn't expect immediate results having done this last year for the first time. Which is kind of why I was a bit surprised to see a hazy blue pool the next day and I wasn't sure how to interpret that.

In any case, next actions for me seem to be as follows:

(1) Empty some pool water (try for 20-25%)
(2) Refill some pool water
(3) Take measurements, specifically pH and FC
(4) If FC <10, pH is considered accurate
(4b) If FC >10, wait until < 10 before proceeding:
(4) Balance Ph (regardless of the color of my water at that point)
(5) Retake measurements, pH and FC/CC
(6) Apply SLAM based on current CYA level
(7) Maintain, check ~4/day until overnight drop for FC <1 and ensure CC <= 0.5
(8) Once overnight drop for FC < 1, maintain normal chlorine level based on new CYA level.

Seem right?

- - - Updated - - -

also, i've never had to lower PH before - is this muriatic acid ok for it?
Klean-Strip 1 gal. Green Muriatic Acid-GKGM75006 - The Home Depot

- - - Updated - - -

seems like maybe i shouldnt use that muriatic acid:
Klean-Strip Safer Muriatic acid?

ill just buy something from the pool store then i guess

I think HD does sell MA you can use in the pool but that one didn't look right. Nonetheless you can pick some up at the pool store it is actually reasonably priced for the pool store. Then your plan looks solid, just stay diligent on testing brushing and adding CL. It'll go great!

Yeah, muriatic acid is the one chemical I will buy at pool store. The ones at home depot are usually half strength for not much of a price difference. The kind to look for to get most bang for the buck is the 31.45%. Just be very careful pouring it and don't inhale it, the stuff is strong. You also need to store it away from chlorine, and any metals.

Yeah, muriatic acid is the one chemical I will buy at pool store. The ones at home depot are usually half strength for not much of a price difference. The kind to look for to get most bang for the buck is the 31.45%. Just be very careful pouring it and don't inhale it, the stuff is strong. You also need to store it away from chlorine, and any metals.

thanks, so i emptied about 5-10% of my pool water to start bringing down the CYA level. I Didn't want to remove more than that at one time b/c then otherwise i would dip below my skimmers and then i wouldn't be able to cycle water and run the pump - well i guess i could through the main drain only, but it was getting dark by the time i get home from work and have time to deal with shutting off valves and having them break or something.

so i put some water into a 10lb bucket and then i put probably 15-20% of a 1280oz bottle (~20ounces) into that water bucket and then dropped that over an outtake to begin dropping the ph. I figured I since I was not only emptying water and replacing it with tap water (not from a well) that I should play it slowly and see how much my ph is at tomorrow, rather than go all out to the 32 ounces recommended.

I saw when i poured the muriatic acid into the water bucket that there was a vapor coming off of it in the overhead light. I positioned myself so i was not downstream from the air and thus never got a whiff of what it smells like, but i am sure it is noxious.

so tomorrow i plan to do the following:
(1) check pH - see how much more muriatic acid, if any I need (could my ph have been so high that i could cause damage to anything? It was really off the taylor system chart color)
(2) check CYA - see if i got it down to something more respectable like 60, however i really never know how to do this test. I mean the harder i look the more I can still see the black dot. If it still seems high in the 70-80 range, ill take out some more water again and then fill and rinse and repeat these steps until ph is good and cya is a more respectable 50-60ish

...then i will SLAM on a day i have time to check 3-4x a day.

on a positive note, my CC was <= 0.5 when i measured tonight (approx 22 hours later from last measurement when it was 1.5).... that's at least good, right?

thanks, so i emptied about 5-10% of my pool water to start bringing down the CYA level. I Didn't want to remove more than that at one time b/c then otherwise i would dip below my skimmers and then i wouldn't be able to cycle water and run the pump - well i guess i could through the main drain only, but it was getting dark by the time i get home from work and have time to deal with shutting off valves and having them break or something.

so i put some water into a 10lb bucket and then i put probably 15-20% of a 1280oz bottle (~20ounces) into that water bucket and then dropped that over an outtake to begin dropping the ph. I figured I since I was not only emptying water and replacing it with tap water (not from a well) that I should play it slowly and see how much my ph is at tomorrow, rather than go all out to the 32 ounces recommended.

I saw when i poured the muriatic acid into the water bucket that there was a vapor coming off of it in the overhead light. I positioned myself so i was not downstream from the air and thus never got a whiff of what it smells like, but i am sure it is noxious.

so tomorrow i plan to do the following:
(1) check pH - see how much more muriatic acid, if any I need (could my ph have been so high that i could cause damage to anything? It was really off the taylor system chart color)
(2) check CYA - see if i got it down to something more respectable like 60, however i really never know how to do this test. I mean the harder i look the more I can still see the black dot. If it still seems high in the 70-80 range, ill take out some more water again and then fill and rinse and repeat these steps until ph is good and cya is a more respectable 50-60ish

on a positive note, my CC was <= 0.5 when i measured tonight (approx 22 hours later from last measurement when it was 1.5).... that's at least good, right?
(1) There is no need to pre-dilute the MA.... It's actually worse to pour it in a smaller container as it will confine and trap more fumes down in that bucket compared to the open ventilated area that is your pool water surface, just slowly pour the MA directly from the jug in front of a running return jet in the deep end of the pool, brush in that area afterwards. Keep the bottle very close to the water's surface to avoid splashing. Be sure you are always pouring downwind when you are pouring MA regardless, and use proper eye protection. High pH alone should not have damaged anything in the short term.

(2) Are you testing CYA outdoors on a bright sunny day, with your back to the sun? Indoor CYA tests are inaccurate. If you can't start the SLAM right away, you should focus in dropping that CYA level a bit more, it will make the SLAM much easier on the wallet & back (lugging bleach).

Remember, a SLAM is not a one day event. I like to recommend (if you work M-F) you start the SLAM on a Friday afternoon, and stay with it all weekend, checking and dosing chlorine as much as possible, every couple of hours or so especially in the beginning stages of the SLAM...... Hit It Hard, brush, brush, brush, maintain FC, maintain FC, maintain FC. By Sunday evening your FC levels should be holding much better so it will require much less checks/doses and going to 4X a day should be about perfect.

Follow the SLAM article exactly as written (the video is just a visual reference) and you will succeed.

Last edited:
(1) There is no need to pre-dilute the MA.... It's actually worse to pour it in a smaller container as it will confine and trap more fumes down in that bucket compared to the open ventilated area that is your pool water surface, just slowly pour the MA directly from the jug in front of a running return jet in the deep end of the pool, brush in that area afterwards. Keep the bottle very close to the water's surface to avoid splashing. Be sure you are always pouring downwind when you are pouring MA regardless, and use proper eye protection. High pH alone should not have damaged anything in the short term.

(2) Are you testing CYA outdoors on a bright sunny day, with your back to the sun? Indoor CYA tests are inaccurate. If you can't start the SLAM right away, you should focus in dropping that CYA level a bit more, it will make the SLAM much easier on the wallet & back (lugging bleach).

Remember, a SLAM is not a one day event. I like to recommend (if you work M-F) you start the SLAM on a Friday afternoon, and stay with it all weekend, checking and dosing chlorine as much as possible, every couple of hours or so especially in the beginning stages of the SLAM...... Hit It Hard, brush, brush, brush, maintain FC, maintain FC, maintain FC. By Sunday evening your FC levels should be holding much better so it will require much less checks/doses and going to 4X a day should be about perfect.

Follow the SLAM article exactly as written (the video is just a visual reference) and you will succeed.

i thought the pre-dilution of the MA made it safer somehow, but ok, i guess not?

my PH is now back to 8.4Edit: 7.4 as of this morning

my FC was 6.5 (still a drop of about 2 overnight) and my CC was < 0.5, maybe 0.25 if that.

I am realizing now I am running low on R-0013 agent and need to get a hold of it quick to measure my CYA!!

Unfortunately, i dont have any consecutive days to be home with the pool, not until maybe Sunday afternoon through Monday...should I WAIT to do the SLAM until i have the time or should I do my best to keep the FC levels up in the interim so I don't revert back to green?

also, when is a good time to use my automatic cleaner for the floor? Is it too early

Will empty pool

Since you've already started, if you're able, head out before work, test cl level, put in proper amount of chlorine to get to target. When you get home, do the same. Before going to sleep, one more time.
If you have enough R-0013 to do one more test, check it to ensure you're using the correct SLAM target.

Since you've already started, if you're able, head out before work, test cl level, put in proper amount of chlorine to get to target. When you get home, do the same. Before going to sleep, one more time.
If you have enough R-0013 to do one more test, check it to ensure you're using the correct SLAM target.

that's my issue right now. i recognized i was low on R-0013 and have more coming Friday/Saturday. Right now I don't know what my proper CL target is because ive been emptying and replacing water, thus lowering my CYA and thus changing my SLAM level. I need the CYA to arrive (can you believe no stores locally have it?) so i can figure out what my SLAM should be. My ph is steady, and my color is steady blue but hazy.

So right now I Am in wait and hold pattern, continually dropping my CYA slowly as I have time to do so. Once the R-0013 arrives, I will :

(1) Measure CYA on Fri/Sat when CYA arrives.
(2) Determine SLAM CL level
(3) Slam on a day I can attend to the pool fully - maybe not until Sunday afternoon through Monday.

Sounds like a good plan, right?

Probably have to go pick up some more chlorine bleach too as I only have 6 bottles now.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: before above where i said ph is back to 8.4, i meant 7.4

FYI, we can close this out. Was able to get the pool over shock level last week/weekend and maintain it. FC dropped only 1.0 overnight and CC was 0-0.25 if that.

Pool looks pretty crystal clear. I'll probably backwash one more time, add DE in and bring it up to shock once more just to be certain before it starts getting warmer here in NJ.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.