Pool filter not filtering when adding CYA

Re: Pool filter no filtering when adding CYA

or make sure your filter is not set to recirculate...ie bypassing the filter. It should not allow the cya to pass through

Thanks. I just replaced the sand this season, checke all the laterals and nothing I could see. I did have to replace the botton of the multiport, but all internal look good. I probably have to check everything again. The pool sand was from HD, but it said pool sand.

Just went and pulled the multiport. Sand was level and not channeled. A little bit of the CYA was on top of the sand, but most is in the pool. Almost seems like it just bypassed the filter and went straight out.

cd said:
The pool sand was from HD, but it said pool sand.

Don't want to sound insulting, just being sure. When it said pool sand, did it also say #20 silica sand? The sand should be white. Just being sure you didn't accidentally put sand meant for leveling or going under a pool in the filter.

If it is the right sand, and it's not channeled, then I'd look at that multiport. It could be something as simple as the spider gasket not being seated correctly and allowing debris to pass through.

HTH,
Adam

I put a nylon stocking over the return yesterday as I read that was something to try on this site. I went out this morning and found a fist full of junk, pieces of bugs included. I'm leaning toward the multiport. I just hate to sink more money into this filter, already put $90 on the Valve Body Assembly earlier this year. the complete multiport is $158 plus shipping and the Plug and Gasket Assembly is about $40. At the crossroads between trying to repair or replace.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This weekend I decided to take the sand filter apart and check it out. Took the old sand out. Checked all laterals and piping and found no cracks or bad pieces. Put it back together and replaced the sand with new from pool store. Thought it could have been the Home Depot pool sand? I put a stocking back on after replacement. 2 hours later I had small bugs and but peices in the stocking. Does anyone have any ideas on what else it could be. Could it be the multiport? It does not leak out of the waste when running. I'm out of ideas and am getting ready to chunk the thing and start over.

Thanks,
CD

Thanks, I'l check that tonite. I did check open it up a couple of weeks ago while having the same problem. It's kinda a one piece combo plastice and gasket. I didn't see any rips, but I'll have to look better. Any chance it may be the pump pushing to much water into the filter. It's a waterway 1hp 2 speed (SF 1.1) and the filter is a 200 lb.

Thanks,

waterbear said:
sounds like the multiport to me. Check your spider gasket.

Update.
I gave up on the sand filter and ordered a Hayward C900. It came in last weekend. After installing it saturday morning, let it run, and by 5 pm that day the pool was crystal clear again. I'm going to purchase and extra filter to make cleaning easier.

Thanks to all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.