need help with conversion

Jun 25, 2009
hello, I am new to the site. I unfortuntally, found the site after I started the conversion from baquacil to chlorine. I put five bags of shock in the pool yesterday and now it looks like the mississippi river. i need help any suggestions.

Brown water is fairly common during a conversion. Conversions produce lot of curious water appearances. Enjoy them while you can. Once the conversion is over it will just be the same old sparkling blue water day after day after day . . .

If you haven't already, you should read the conversion instructions.

What kind of shock did you use? Some kinds can slow down a conversion, other kinds are alright in limited quantities. Over the course of a conversion you will be using a lot of chlorine, because all of the granular products add something to the water in addition to chlorine (either CYA or CH), we don't recommend using them for the entire conversion. By the end you would have too much CYA or CH depending on what kind of granular chlorine you were using. It is best to use either bleach or liquid chlorine.

You should check your PH. You want the PH to be around 7.2 to 7.4 near the start of the conversion. Only test PH when the FC level is fairly low.

What kind of test kit do you have? Before the end of the conversion, you are going to want to have a really good test kit, but you are fine starting off with practically any test kit.

Feel free to ask questions as you go. We love to help. Also, we also love to see pictures of the entire conversion process :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.