which sand filter recommendations appreciated

fal900

May 29, 2009
My pool 13000 gallons

pump 1 1/2 horse whisperflow

pentair hayward which one.

I currently have a cartridge filter hayward 1200 series. The reason I want to possibly switch to sand. 1. I do not have a screen enclosure around my pool. 2. pool is surrounds by lots of landscaping. I have to clean mt cartride filter every 2 weeks.

will i notice any difference between the 2 filters ?? if not or barilt noticable i will definatly go with sand.

Generally, sand filters are less troublesome in an area where you may have to deal with a lot of "junk" in the pool......much like you describe.

FWIW, your pump is too large for your pool. If you want/need to keep the pump, I would suggest a very large sand filter to handle the large flow from the pump.

Brand names don't seem so important but a filter that is rated for at least 120gpm would be about the size you would need for that big pump.

my combination has worked very well for me for an agp...1/2hp pentair superflo and a Hayward s220t (250lb sand filter). You may consider a 3/4 or 1hp if you have a long plumbing run

Duraleigh is right on your 1.5hp, being too big...it will still work, but if you want to keep it you may consider a 300lb sand filter...or possibly is your pump a 2speed...you could get away with the 250lb filter and run it on low speed, except when vacuming.

hope this helps

thanks guys

another question i have pool vac one of those great whites that hooks into the side of my pool dedicated line not the skimmer.

I also have 2" plumbing on my pool. If i go down to a 1 horse will that effect the pool vacuum from cruising around the pool.

my pool is about 7 years old i typically keep my vacuum line fully open and my main and skimmer line valves 1/4 to 1/2 open

will that effect the pool vacuum from cruising around the pool.
Very possibly. I had the "junior" version of that cleaner and found it to be very picky at what pressures it would function.

I would guess that you could get it to perform by further adjustments to the skimmer volume but that's only a guess.

I am still deciding whether to get a sand filter. I have a few more question.

I live in south florida and as some of you may know I have not seen one pool store down here that has sand filters in stock to sell nor when I talk to them non of them recommend sand filters especialy down here in florida its either cartride or de anyone know why. I asked a few store and they say they dont work good down here with the weather and rain one guy told me if you have an algae problem it hard to get out of sand filter ??

anyone have sand filter in florida or similar climate. I need some real woeld answers.

fal900 said:
I am still deciding whether to get a sand filter. I have a few more question.

I live in south florida and as some of you may know I have not seen one pool store down here that has sand filters in stock to sell nor when I talk to them non of them recommend sand filters especialy down here in florida its either cartride or de anyone know why. I asked a few store and they say they dont work good down here with the weather and rain one guy told me if you have an algae problem it hard to get out of sand filter ??

anyone have sand filter in florida or similar climate. I need some real woeld answers.

I live in NE Florida and have had my Hayward sand filter for 21 years and love it. Had a DE filter prior to that and despised cleaning it. I really enjoy the ease of maintenance with a sand filter. Have never had a cartridge filter so I can't comment except that I don't think I'd like to clean the cartridge or spend the $$ for and extra cartridge. So, if and when I need a replacement filter, I'd probably get another sand filter. My water is usually sparkling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.