Baquacil conversion with percarbonates

Question..... This is the second year for our in ground vinyl pool (19,000 gallons). Used Baquacil last year with no problems but have had nothing but problems since. Decided that we are going to make the conversion to chlorine and have read up on doing so. My question is.....we have a ground glass filter (Not sand). Do I need to replace the glass once the conversion has reached that step?

Re: Baquacil conversion with percarbonates

Question..... This is the second year for our in ground vinyl pool (19,000 gallons). Used Baquacil last year with no problems but have had nothing but problems since. Decided that we are going to make the conversion to chlorine and have read up on doing so. My question is.....we have a ground glass filter (Not sand). Do I need to replace the glass once the conversion has reached that step?
Probably, yes. The Baqua conversion creates a very gooey mess that will turn the contents of your filter to muck.

I'm going to assume it is a standard sand filter filled with zeolite or some other glass media? If so I'll let you in on a secret - it works the same as sand, so stick with sand.

Thank you.....just seems a shame since it's only a year old. Live and learn
Don't feel bad - we have all been there. We were "sold" something that was not what it was supposed to be. Many people are "sold" on baqua pool care. The problem is, the only one it is best for is the Pool $tore.

Thank you for all of the helpful info. At this point I have added Baquacil to the pool (and CDX) already (have been fighting white mold for 3 weeks). I'm considering being the guinea pig and adding sodium percarbonate to the pool to help dissipate the Baquacil. Can you tell me how much I would add and how would I know when the peroxide level is low?

For starters.......WELCOME TO TFP! I know right about where you're at too as I pass right by the antique shops when I travel from the house (Just a hair North of you on the Ohio/WV border) to see my mother in Illinois.

Your scenario is full of stuff we don't know 100% about so be warned.....you're full of if's and but's.

Do I need to replace the glass once the conversion has reached that step?
In theory, no. The reason you need to change the sand during a conversion is because the BaquaGoo causes the sand to stick together greatly reducing it's filtering ability. Additionally the goo that remains causes an increased chlorine demand that stays with the user for some time. In theory you should be able to wash the glass media off and rinse all of the BaquaGoo away. At the end of the conversion you could try to deep clean the filter but I wouldn't hold any hopes for any sort of success. If it were me I'd plan on replacing the media with new sand. Below shows a photo of my DE filter during our conversion a few years ago and as you can see the Baqua creates a HUGE mess that is a pain to make go away.

I'm considering being the guinea pig and adding sodium percarbonate to the pool to help dissipate the Baquacil. Can you tell me how much I would add and how would I know when the peroxide level is low?
Before you jump in I must warn you......we really don't know a ton about this process. I have a general idea how it would work but to my knowledge nobody on TFP has ever tried it. We don't know the side effects (if any) or the success rates at all. I can assist you as much as possible BUT you're really heading towards the dark side.

That disclaimer aside, let's see if the sodium percarbonate is even a good fit for you before we complicate things. You mentioned you've added CDX this year to your water, how much and when?? Additionally can you post your Baqua sanitizer levels?

Regardless of which path you take.....have you ordered a FAS/DPD test kit?? You'll need it.

Ordering my testing kit in the morning. Here's a little background. I had the pool opened towards the end of April (again this is only our second year, making this the first opening). They came and opened it while I was not home and I must say that I was a little surprised to see what it looked like when I got home (best described as powdered milk suspended in water). I have been testing and adding stuff ever since.....and throw in the added pressure that I hosted a graduation party yesterday. I even treated the pool for white mold last week and throughout ALL of it, the pool has looked essentially the same.
Ok.....my last water levels are from Friday:
Sanitizer 56
pH 6.6
TA 99
CA 166
Oxidizer 69
I added pH increaser, oxidizer, and CDX on Friday. Since, have had multiple children swimming on Saturday and rain all day today.
I realize that I will need to wait some time for the oxidizer level to fall but trying to plan ahead, order my test kit, and start stockpiling chlorine as I anticipate it is going to take a lot.
Only considered sodium percarbonate as a possible way to bring the oxidizer level down a little quicker as Memorial day weekend would be a great 3 days for me to devote to the initial steps.

If you really want to save some money on chemical, you might want to try the Tarp Method for exchanging most of the water 80-90%. After the exchange you can go ahead and do the conversion. This is just an option if you already have a tarp that can be used.

good luck

Felipe

Only considered sodium percarbonate as a possible way to bring the oxidizer level down a little quicker as Memorial day weekend would be a great 3 days for me to devote to the initial steps.

Once you add any chlorine to the water your Oxidizer level's will be reduced to zero very quickly. The peroxide used doesn't stay in the water very fast and won't be a big issue. The sodium percarbonate works to break down your Biguanide (Sanitizer) levels. I was hoping you were one who just uncovered the pool this weekend and your sanitizer levels were low, but no luck. Another option beyond using percarbonate would be to go ahead and start the conversion now and work blind for a few days when you get home from work. I'm confident enough in the conversion process to help you out here while you wait for your kit. There's a good chance I can have you well into the conversion by this weekend with a little bit of work during the week.

If you wish to attempt percarbonate you will want to wait for a good FAS/DPD kit as I would be hesitant to work blindly here. The process basically involves adding 5 pounds OxiPlus per 10,000 gallons of water and allowing it to circulate. Once this runs for a few you will then add/maintain 15ppm Free Chlorine and follow the process outlined in the article above. Again though, I will warn you that we have no experience in this and results are unknown.

Holy cow. Ok. Wasn't expecting to start this soon but I'm all for it. I have ordered my test kit and 20 gallons of chlorine (giving me a total of 26 on hand). What else should I have?
I'm planning to take in a water sample in this afternoon so we'll know where we are to start........anything else?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I wouldn't even bother testing the water. Not worth your time. The main reason I'd suggest going for it now is because of the overcast weather we're having the sun won't consume nearly as much FC as if it were a sunny day.

For starters switch the filter to recirculate for now to avoid needing to backflush very much. Right now it's water circulation that you're after for a few days. Next, for the next day or two add 3 gallons 8% bleach to the water twice a day......once in the morning once at night. This should get you started on your way. Make sure you brush and take lots of pictures.

When is your kit to arrive???

Are you still considering doing the sodium percarbonate treatment process? How much CDX did you add?

I only ask because CDX is basically dimethylhydantoin (DMH) which is used to stabilize peroxide levels. DMH does not breakdown over time and stays in the water. It is also the source of extended chlorine demand when converting a Baqua pool to chlorine. The CDX chemical makes the conversion process very slow. So, with that said, you're going to need A LOT MORE bleach than 26 gallons. We have regular conversion processes (no CDX) running now where the pool owners have so far used nearly 50 gallons of bleach. Expect yours to be a lot higher. I'm not saying this to be a downer but to be realistic and to give you as much heads-up as possible. This process will be frustrating at times and the more you are prepared for that up-front, the better off you will be.

Good luck!

I added the last bottle of CDX on Friday about noon. Yes....i am open to trying the sodium percarbonate in the interest of trying to shorten the time. I am well aware that for me this is going to be a long haul. I am a pharmacist so bring on the chemistry. Can you advise me on how much to use? Where do I get some? How do I know if it has worked?

First, let me welcome you to TFP!

I'm not an expert on the conversion process but if you are going to try to sodium percarbonate conversion route one source would be -shudder- a pool store. Proteam System Support (also called Pool Rescue) is pure sodium percarbonate and sold in 10 and 25 lb pails. If you have a Proteam distributor nearby it might be easier than trying to find some online. Unless anyone here knows of a better source for pure sodium percarbonate.

Nah. Chemistry Store online. Forget the pool store.

I'll be online later. PM me and we'll trade phone numbers for after-hours conversations.

Duda Diesel might have it as well. You need 5lbs per 10,000 gallon.

Nah. Chemistry Store online. Forget the pool store.
Well a 30 lb bucket from there comes out to $127 including ground shipping. A 25 lb bucket of System Support should be about $120. So unless the plan is to pay for extra that isn't needed (unless we are dealing with a 60,000 gallon pool) and wait around for a week while it ships then perhaps we shouldn't be writing off the pool store so easily.

Fine by me if there's a local source. SPC is not readily available in many areas. Whatever works out the best.

Extra can always be used in laundry as a form of non-chlorine bleach. I use it all the time as a bleach alternative for my whites.

Sodium Percarbonate ordered. Believe it or not I found some on Amazon and it will be delivered Wednesday. I got 10 lbs because I have a 19,000 gallon pool. How do I add it to the pool? Through the return or sprinkle it in? Should I dissolve it first in water?
You have no idea how much I appreciate the help and guidance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.