Hello From North Alabama

Hi, my wife and I recently bought a house with a pool and I've made a ton of mistakes so far (primarily buying products from some family friends and paying through the nose). Regardless, it did not open my pool up very well, at least from the directions I was given, so thankfully I found you guys.

My TF-100 came in the mail Friday. But I haven't been able to test until this morning. My pool is actually blue now and I've vacuumed everything I can get without being able to see the bottom. I've read through some stuff and I think I'm ready to begin SLAMing soon (ideally today). My CYA however is 20 and I've put stabilizer in the pool this morning (sock by the return jet) to bring it close to 40. Since CYA takes so long to dissolve and pick up on a test, can I SLAM today and if so what do I need to use as my CYA level?

Thanks guys,

Jonathan

If you put in the CYA to bring you to 40, that is the number you should use for the basis of your SLAM.

Welcome to the EASIEST, CHEAPEST way to maintain your pool... we are glad you found us!

Did I mention that we LOVE pictures?!?!?! IF you post a pic a day of the process (Taken from the same angle, and at about the same time of day), it REALLY helps you (and us) see the changes your pool goes through on its way to becoming crystal clear.

:)

Thanks guys. Just didn't want to do something stupid. I'll take the pictures but I'm not sure if I'll post them yet. My backyard is an embarrassment. The guy I bought it from hadn't lived here in a year and I haven't got it under control yet.

And thanks for for the reminder, even if it seems obvious to you. I don't want to miss anything. My liner is bad enough as it is, can't afford anymore damage.

You can take pictures showing nothing but the water... Trust me, no matter how bad it seems, we HAVE seen worse!

Edit your signature to tell us what type, and size of pool you have, as well as what type of equipment (filter/pump... etc)

Take a full set of tests, and post the results for us to look over.

FC:
CC:
PH:
TA:
CH:
Salt: (if you have a SWG)

Pictures please.......pretty please :angel:

We had one where you would not even know there was a pool as the yard and pool were all so overgrown! You need to document your hard work and we will cheer you on every step of the way!

Kim:kim:

Alright. I know I've been slow to update but I've been busy (imagine that :). My pool is looking better but the cloudiness is still limiting visibility to about 4-5 feet.

This morning my FC was 7 and CC was 4.5 and I added bleach to bring FC to 16. I put in stabilizer to bring my CYA up to 40 Sunday and this morning it was 40. Have I overshot my goal? Should I expect it to continue to climb through the rest of the week?

Also my TA was 100 Sunday and I put in enough muriatic acid to bring the pH down to 7.3 (afraid of overshooting it too much).

I haven't test CH as I figured it didn't matter since I have a vinyl pool but could that contribute to the cloudiness?

I'm brushing daily and I know I've still got some stuff at the bottom but it's not much anymore (very little being picked up after each vacuum now). Any expectations you think on how much longer this SLAM should last? Thanks for all the help.

Alright. I know I've been slow to update but I've been busy (imagine that :). My pool is looking better but the cloudiness is still limiting visibility to about 4-5 feet.

This morning my FC was 7 and CC was 4.5 and I added bleach to bring FC to 16. I put in stabilizer to bring my CYA up to 40 Sunday and this morning it was 40. Have I overshot my goal? Should I expect it to continue to climb through the rest of the week?

Also my TA was 100 Sunday and I put in enough muriatic acid to bring the pH down to 7.3 (afraid of overshooting it too much).

I haven't test CH as I figured it didn't matter since I have a vinyl pool but could that contribute to the cloudiness?

I'm brushing daily and I know I've still got some stuff at the bottom but it's not much anymore (very little being picked up after each vacuum now). Any expectations you think on how much longer this SLAM should last? Thanks for all the help.

Your CYA will be fine! I typically dissolve my CYA easily and I can test the next day and it stays at that reading. 7.3 is fine for the pH, no worries. The cloudiness is due to algae both dead/alive. Your CC tells me that the FC is killing stuff in a major way! I can't venture to guess on how long the SLAM will take, because it is different for every pool. I will tell you that the more often you test your FC and bring it back up to 16 the faster the SLAM will proceed.

Your CH is really not a concern for vinyl pools unless it is high, this can cause calcium scaling. Keep on a SLAMMIN'...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your filter is your best friend right now! Keep it going and keep the FC up where it needs to be to kill the rest. You are in the hardest, longest part of the SLAM-watching and waiting for it to clear :( This is where the daily pics are good. They can show you it IS clearing as your eyes cannot see it each day.

Kim:kim:

Things are continuing to progress. Back washed last night and I can tell a difference this morning so it's slowly doing its job.

FC held pretty good last night so I just had to add 1 gallon this morning. CC is still at 4.

My queries for today are how often do you guys perform the various tests. I'm sure chlorine is every day. But what about CYA? Just after back washing or rains? And how about the rest of them...pH, TA, CH?

And also what are the rules on backwashing or running on waste after a rain? Is there a certain amount of time to wait, is it okay if it was only a light rain? I have been told it may float my liner but you guys are much more knowledgeable and I want to make sure I'm not passing along false information.

Thanks, y'all have been great.

During a SLAM, just focus on the FC testing mostly. Once your water is almost clear, you can watch the CC as well since you should be getting close to the end. PH will not read accurately because of the elevated FC, so don't bother with that or any other tests really. If your SLAM lasted a long time, or if you exchanged a LOT of water from backwashes and water exchange, then I might say check the CYA again later, but it usually doesn't change too much. FC is the big one.

As for backwashing, no major changes really. Just backwash when the filter pressure increases by about 20-25%. Light rain should have next to no impact on your SLAM. Backwashing has no impact on the liner floating. That's only a concern if/when someone decides to drain their pool. You should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.