Newbie with too high CYA

jcm0020

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2009
Dallas, TX
First of all I want to say thank goodness for this wonderful sight. I bought a good test kit and now my pool water has that "sparkle" to it. I plan on draining my pool water this weekend to bring down my CYA and CH.

My CL test results look like a roller coaster throughout the day.

6/20
8AM: added 182 oz bleach and ran pump all day
10AM: CL was 14.5
2PM: CL was 10
5PM: CL was 14 (I tested twice to verify the number)

6/23
9PM: added 182 oz bleach and ran pump for 3 hours

6/24
7AM: CL was 11
Noon: CL was 9.5
10PM: CL was 10

6/25
7AM: CL was 10.5

I was wondering if I'm using too much DPD powder or not enough causing my CL numbers to go up throughout the day. Why would this be happening? Does this happen to all rookies?

Current test results:
CL: 10.5
PH: 7.5
TA: 110
CH: 460
CYA: 120 (guesstimate)

My wife looks at me like I'm crazy for dumping bleach in the pool.

Hi and welcome. :wave:

What test kit did you get?

I would advise to save your kit reagents until after you have drained/refilled to get your CYA level lower - right now you are just kinda wasting your time and money and energy. Sorry to have to say that.

You want to drain about 50% of your pool water to get it to a manageble level. After you do that, recirculate the water for a few hours and then post a new set of results and we'll help you get straight.

You can't drain before the weekend?

Can my CYA reading possibly be right?

I drained what I felt like was about half my pool, filled it up and ran the pump for 1 hour then tested CYA and it was still over 100. I then performed the dilution test by using 5ml of pool water, 5ml of reagent and 10 ml of distilled water then doubled the reading and it showed my CYA was about 130 which is what it was before I drained my pool when I performed the exact same test.

I thought my CYA problem would be between 60 and 70 after I refilled it. I can't imaging how much it cost me to fill up 8,000-10,000 gallons and see no change in CYA. Surely it would be less expensive to maintain a higher FC level then to drain another 8-10 thousand gallons.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice, or experience with the same issue??

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to hear this unpleasant news.

The common tests only go up to 100. So anything higher, tests as 100. Dilution loses some accuracy. I think I also read that the CYA can be imbedded in some types of plaster, and redistribute into solution even after significant draining....or something to that effect.

You may have the initial expense of water replacement, but no I think over time, it works out to be less than trying to run with higher FC levels.

It's a personal decision, you can try it for awhile and see if you are successful. I'd recommend you add a weekly dose of Polyquat 60 algaecide (not cheap) as a preventative if you do.

Every post I have read on this sight has me convinced that a low CYA reading is the way to go so I'm willing try it again. After all, I will be saving money by not using my Nature2 cartridge anymore.

How far off will my TA, PH and CH be after adding all this new water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I have a cart filter and can't do either.... so bear with me. I assume the multiport valves have filter, backwash, waste, or similar settings. Your valve doesn't have a "waste" setting? This bypasses the filter entirely....

Here's the post I'm remembering:

JasonLion said:
Definitely waste. The waste setting moves the water more quickly. Also, on backwash, all of the water goes through the sand filter backwards. Any dirt in the water being pumped out would go back into the pool as soon as the system was put back to filter mode. Using backwash wouldn't be a huge problem, just not as efficient and messier.

I went through the same problem. My CYA was well over 200 with years of puck use. I only use liquid chlorine now and my pool has never looked better. My CYA now is around 70. It takes alot of draining to get your CYA level down and yours seems to be pretty high. Instead of backwashing through sand filter, I did a drain/refill at the same time by buying a cheap 50 dollar pump at harware store and placed it at the top step. I matched the flowrates of the pump and fill hose and let it run for about 24 hours, keeping an eye on the pool level which stayed abount the same with the matched flow rates. You use more water this way but is much easier. Good luck

I drained a refilled again and retested after 4 hours of pump running

FC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 100
CH: 260 :-D (much better than the 460 I had before)
CYA: drum roll please.......70 :-D :-D

I dumped 4 182oz bottles of bleach then tested 3 hours later (7 hours after refilling)

FC: 12
PH: didn't test because FC was over 10
TA: 110
CH: 260
CYA: 60

I will perform the overnight FC loss test tonight. Should I drain more to bring CYA even lower?

I'm not looking forward to my next water bill but I am looking forward to not going to the PS anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.