Heavy Calcuim buildup

Jun 25, 2009
I opened my pool the end of May and I noticed it had a thick scale of white all over the vinyl liner. I shocked it and have it completly balanced.
FC 5
CC 0
TA 120
PH 7.6
CYA 50
CH 100

AG pool vinyl liner and 18400. I am at my witts end trying to get this water clear. We have yet to see the bottom. I know it is not algea because it is holding its FC just fine and the water is a pretty blue just milky looking from the buildup. I drained some of the pool yesterday and scrubbed alot of the buildup off and I could see the water getting milkyer as I scrubbed. Is there anything I can use to get rid of this and should I bring the Ch up. Its a vinyl liner and I have always heard it does not matter. My DH did not cover the pool last year and we had lots of rain all winter. Can anybody give me some ideas on what to do to clear this water up. I run my pump 24/7

Lower the ph down to 7.2 with muratic acid and keep it there for a few days, while you are scrubbing. YOu don't need to raise your CH since your pool is vinyl. The PH must have gotten really high over the winter for the scale to have formed....

Over time, if the cloudiness is from the stuff getting mixed in, the filter will get it out. What kind of filter do you have? (Keep it filtering 24/7 till it clears.)

How are you testing the water? How did you confirm the FC is holding?

Thankyou. I have been doing the BBB way for about 2 years now. This site help me convert from Baq to BBB. I have never had any problem until this and I know its from not closing it right last year. We were in the midst of building a house and full time jobs and we just neglected to cover it last year and I think that is what did it. I have a Taylors testing kit and after I opened it I shocked it at 20 ppm and held it for a few days until my Fc would hold over night. I have a Hayward pump. I did not relise the Ph would cause this kind of scaling. I called the pool store and I know I shouldnt have and they told me to get the CH up. But even if I did raise it I would not be buying from them. I would use the Dowflake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.