Need recommendations for a new AGP

I have a doughboy and really like it. Decent local dealer where I can get parts and such. I think the dealer is probably more important than the brand. After the sale support is key. Pools are a harsh environment and things break and wear out. I like my pool and the Doughboy filter and pump package. The downside is that parts are not available on the internet- local dealer only. That can sometimes be a disadvantage.

In addition, pools are a pretty regional item. Doughboys are big where I am because the decent local dealer has a large presence. In some places Esther Williams are the pool of choice. Is your friend installing themselves? If not,then all the more reason to find a local dealer you like.

I would agree on the Doughboy, except for the pump- undersized, overrated, and insufficient documentation to know in advance or do anything about it. Getting into it voids the warranty, but the casing makes is such that they only way to see what is going on is to crack it open. They also tend to leak- see the following post:http://www.troublefreepool.com/doughboy-powerpak-pump-leaking-t12047.html
The structure of the pool is good, the filter is fine (hard to mess up a big barrel of sand), the liner warranty is excellent, but steer clear of the pump. We had one dealer try to warn us, and we did not listen and went with another dealer, thinking we wanted the whole "Doughboy package".
The "local dealer only" aspect is a problem if you are a long ways from the dealer. Doughboy is the dominant pool in our area, but we have an hour drive to get to a dealer. Of they are happy to charge us $150 distance fee to come out and look at our problem, eve under warranty. We did not have much else for choices in our location, but that pump is going to be an ongoing source of headaches, I can already tell.
I also agree with wmshay6 that after sale support is key. Another key is a knowledgeable, experienced installer familiar with the peculiarities of your pool type (each seems to have their own little unique trick-such as non-standard hose fittings on Doughboys) and the ground in your area. That can make or break your experience. Ours was excellent- has made a huge difference- could have been a disaster with our unstable ground and crazy weather.

The brand you buy is not so important as making sure you purchase a pool that will fill your needs for a long time since they are all expensive when it's all said and done. Make sure you purchase a pool with adequate uprights and top rails, the more uprights, the sturdier the pool. Be sure your pump is not overpowered and filter is not undersized - brand isn't the big issue, but all of the aforementioned items are.

Now, I would be most concerned with getting the pool installed correctly - and as close to PERFECTLY level as possible - never rush or scrimp/save on this step. With good installation and proper equipment and water maintenance, ANY pool from any dealer can last for many years without a problem. Spend your money on proper ground prep and installation, don't worry so much about brands or dealers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.