Trouble with older Jandy Color changing lights

Apr 13, 2014
Georgia
I have some likely 5-10 year old Jandy color changing lights that are pre-led. I have found some manuals but don't quite understand what causes them to change color. Is there a mechanical color wheel or something in there? Anyways they are getting unreliable and/or stuck and wondering if there is any point in pulling them out to evaluate them before I have the money to replace them. I use the lights rarely and the colors even less often.

If I do replace, will another brand communicate through the aqualink? What is the most reliable LED / Color light out there?

I have the same lights and if you open it, you will see about 8 separate white bulbs with colored glass lenses over them. The colors are formed by turning on a different combination of lights to achieve the color. I found that I had a few of the lights burnt out, so just put some new bulbs in and it all worked great again. Now I am replastering my pool, so decided to swap out the Jandy lights to new Pentair 5g LED color lights. I had to get an upgrade to the newest revision of the Jandy software iaqualink 2.0, but supposedly it will control these lights.

Always recommended that gasket is replaced or chance of leakage is greater. You can find replacement bulbs much cheaper than buying direct from jandy- 10% of what jandy wants. The spa light uses smaller bulbs that are harder to find but also as cheap. IIRC I spent ~ $1 per bulb.

So to resurrect this. I am getting close to finally cracking these things open. Do you think the led mr16 lamps would work in there?

I was researching my spa bulb replacement and came across this post. Did you try the LED lights? I have a JandyColors spa light (JSL120100) and the matching pool light. In 2016, I replaced the bulbs (8 of them) and the gasket for a small fortune. So now I have 1 light out again. The bulbs require G4 base, 25W, 12v AC and the Jandy part is R0400300 (pack of 2 bulbs), but it's recommended to replace all 8 and gasket when you repair a broken light.

I am wondering if I can just place an LED G4 25W equivalent bulb (x8) in this spa light? This should be a lot cheaper and uses a lot less energy. Upside also will be longer life between outage. Does anyone know if this is possible if I find a G4 that is similar in size to the original halogen bulbs for this Jandy fixture?

I replaced LED lights in both the spa (last year - July '18) and my pool this summer (May '19). The Jandy halogen lights are very expensive and I just researched the LED comparable lights online and was able to find LED replacements for both. Lights are fixed and working well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.