pH raises constantly

Apr 27, 2017
Miami FL
Hi,
Since I've been testing daily with the Taylor K-2006 I've notice my pH constantly raising.
Today it sits at 7.7.
No more than 3 days ago it was at 7.8 and I added 12oz of muriatic acid to bring it around 7.4.
Is this normal?
Thnx

84870281373c8d98072b6bd076bd4ebf.png

Can be.

If your refill water is high in TA it will be a neverending battle. If you have a spa or a slide or a waterfall, the aeration also drives pH up.

Try targeting 7.2 pH. It'll buy you an extra day or two and will speed up the natural lowering of TA. Since I got my TA down to 60, my pH stays a lot steadier.

I tested my tap water pH a couple of days ago and it took 4 drops of acid demand to get it in the 7.4 range. I did not test TA though.

For today's occurrence no refill was done as it rained enough to compensate evaporation loss. Can rain rise pH? Can it aerate the water?

I have no spa, water feature or anything that would aerate the water

Thnx

Alternatively, I am concerned your water might be corrosive to your plaster since your CH is so low. As such, you might want to see if your pH stabilizes around 7.8 which would be safer.

Oh and yes reason can raise the pH as it does aerate.

Alternatively, I am concerned your water might be corrosive to your plaster since your CH is so low. As such, you might want to see if your pH stabilizes around 7.8 which would be safer.

Oh and yes reason can raise the pH as it does aerate.

I did a 65% drain/refill 4 weeks ago to lower my CYA. After the first test I noticed CH being low but wanted to SLAM and clear the water before taking care of it. I was planning on doing CH this weekend.

I do get a little chorine smell which from reading other post shouldn't be the case if pH and TA are within range.

Should I take care of CH now or wait to see if pH stabilizes at 7.8?

Thnx

In FL I would bump up the CH since the rain is going to continually lower it. Also see if the pH stabilizes around 7.8, no worry there.

The pH and TA have nothing to do with a chlorine smell. High CC is usually the reason for any smell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1 gallon would not be noticeable

One reason we recommend lowering the pH prior to starting the slam process is that when you add a lot of bleach it can have a small impact on the ph and make it go up. But as that FC is consumed the pH will come back down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.