Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Chloride

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Chloride

I have seen on this site that calcium chloride is not needed in vinyl pools. What is used for calcium hardness if low ? Also PH is low 6.8 what is best to use to raise Ph
    Hello my name is Dennis59.we have an above ground pool. I believe our pool is 16550 gallons . We are using a Sta -Rite sand filter. I want to learn other ways of correcting my pool instead of using a pool store all the time.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Chloride

If you want to raise calcium a bit and your pH is low, you could use calcium hypochlorite to chlorinate and it will raise your CH over time. It is also fairly alkaline and so it will increase pH at the same time. Every 10ppm FC of chlorine added by cal-hypo raises the CH by roughly 6ppm. It's a slow process but the nice part is it will save you from having to use chlorinating liquid for a while. Much better to haul a 1lb bag of cal-hypo to the pool than an 8lbs gallon jug of liquid chlorine....

- - - Updated - - -

Once your CH gets to where you want it to be, then just switch over to chlorinating liquid for the rest of the season....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

what is the best thing to use for calcium hypochlorite ? , sorry a little new to this. Is shock and chlorine combo for example Power Powder Plus the same thing?
    Hello my name is Dennis59.we have an above ground pool. I believe our pool is 16550 gallons . We are using a Sta -Rite sand filter. I want to learn other ways of correcting my pool instead of using a pool store all the time.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

It isn't that calcium chloride specifically is not needed for vinyl pools, it is that calcium hardness is not generally a concern for vinyl pools. Also calcium hypochlorite is just sold as shock, usually in 1 pound bags. Make sure it says calcium hypochlorite on the label.

As for your pH, that depends. What is your TA level and how are you chlorinating your pool? If your TA level is low and/or you are using pucks to chlorinate then soda ash might be the way to go (sold as pH up or washing soda). Otherwise borax can be used to raise your pH without messing with your TA much.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I amusing 3 inch tablets in a floater. I have used Super Washing before but do not know the correct amount to use,or where to find the amount.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can use PoolMath to determine what you need to add to your pool based on current test results.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!