Chlorine levels

May 19, 2017
Texas
A little bit of backstory, my husband practically begged me to get this above ground pool for him and the kids and I made him swear he would take care of it, low and behold I am the only one performing many maintenance( if this were a puppy it would be dead). I'm pretty bad at things like this and am terribly lazy. We managed for a few weeks with no incidents, adding chlorine, running the pump, crystal clear water. After we returned from vacation the pool looked like a swamp, I'm talking dark green and murky. I bought a few things, tested the water. I started by just changing the filter and adding chlorine and giving it a good scrub. That was a start, someone suggested that I shock it, so I did. It killed all of the green but remained murky for a week. All of my numbers were what they needed to be but it was turning green again, so I figured that because I did the shock during the day it wasn't as effective. Shocked again but this time at night. Water is clearing up, ph is good, chlorine is still high. My question is, when will the pool be usable again, and how can I keep this from happening weekly?

Welcome to TFP! How big is the pool? If it's small, it might be easier to drain and fill. Then and only then can you adopt the tfp way and spend just 5 mins a day testing and another 5 adding liquid bleach and voilà..... Trouble free pool the rest of the summer! Read all the stickies about pool school and the pool math! It's so simple that it will amaze you.. I'm Lazy TOO! It's only 10 mins!

Welcome to TFP! How big is the pool? If it's small, it might be easier to drain and fill. Then and only then can you adopt the tfp way and spend just 5 mins a day testing and another 5 adding liquid bleach and voilà..... Trouble free pool the rest of the summer! Read all the stickies about pool school and the pool math! It's so simple that it will amaze you.. I'm Lazy TOO! It's only 10 mins!

It's about 3500 gallons I believe, there is no way I'm going to drain and fill! My yard has issues with draining so we try to keep it dry.

Drain and fill... You'll swim almost as soon as it's full. Will take you three to seven days to get it right if you tfp it to the letter and not mess up. That 3500 is maybe a ten minute rain. And if you use the hose and run to the street or ditch it's not going to sit in the yard. If it was me and mine is 7500 I'd have it empty asap. Start over and tfp it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.