Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG questions?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG questions?

I have been researching possibly going with a salt water generator system in my fiberglass pool. I know it's supposed to be great with fiberglass but I have a question specific to my situation. My poois surrounded by concrete paver stones. Here is a pic from when I first opened this spring.

I am concerned about salt corrosion of the stones after all I have read about corrosion with concrete pools. Does anyone have any experience with pavers and SWG pools?
    SWG 14x32 IG Fiberglas pool. Hayward H250DP heater, Hayward 3202VSP pump, Hayward Pro S220T sand filter, Cover Pools automatic cover, Taylor K-2006, K-1766 and TF-100 test kits

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: SWG questions?

No issues. We have the same setup here in the Southwest Desert. Hot. Salt has not impacted anything in nearly 3 years.

Good luck.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

Up here pavers see a lot of salt for deicing walkways. I don't imagine the low salinity pool water would be a problem.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses, I didn't think they would be any problem but wanted to here from people that have them. I am on county water and the CYA is about 60 right out of the tap. I am always fighting to keep it down to manageable levels with my chlorine setup and I think going to SWG system may be a help. I am still researching and trying to find the best system to go with. The Hayward system gets good reviews and I have always had good luck with their products. Anyone want to make a recommendation for an SWG system, for conversion from chlorine.
    SWG 14x32 IG Fiberglas pool. Hayward H250DP heater, Hayward 3202VSP pump, Hayward Pro S220T sand filter, Cover Pools automatic cover, Taylor K-2006, K-1766 and TF-100 test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I ordered the CircuPool RJ-30 Plus today. I hope the changeover goes smoothly when I get it installed. Anyone with this SWG is welcome to jump in with information.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Tap water has 0 CYA. You will need to get at least 60 ppm CYA in the water to keep chlorine loss manageable.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    Marty

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Mknauss is correct, tap water does not have CYA in it. How are you getting a reading of 60 from it?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I took a sample from my tap and used the CYA procedure in my T-2006 kit and it came out at 60. I did this test because I drained 1/3 of the pool and the filled it back up 4 times in the last 2 weeks, trying to get my CYA down. I will change 1/3 of the water and my CYA will only drop about 10 points. That is why I checked the tap source. I will do another test tomorrow and see if I made a mistake. Regardless I will be switching over to the SWG system with the new CircuPool.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

This sounds like testing error.

Tap water should have no CYA.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

10. Back To Top    #10

There is no "should not" about it. Tap water 100% definitely has 0ppm of CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

If you get a reading on tap water a second time, test some bottled water to see if you get a reading.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

tap water has no CYA....period. Your test results are in error. I don't know where the error is but I know you have 0 CYA in your water
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Does the water look milky out of the tap? Could just be air bubbles.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Try doing the test with just tap water and no reagent to see if your water is just too cloudy to get a good test.

Also, pour a tiny bit of acid into the cell to clean it. Over time, the black dot becomes clouded by melamine cyanurate .

15. Back To Top    #15

Well you guys are correct. I tested the tap water again today and it's zero CYA. I don't know what happened when I tested it the first time but I had to have made some kind of mistake. After another 1/3 drain and fill my pool CYA is now down to 50, so I can make the changeover to the SWG when it arrives. I stopped using tablets this year and just use liquid chlorine, so it should stay good until I can get the SWG installed.