SWG questions?

retfr8flyr

Bronze Supporter
May 7, 2017
Providence Forge, VA
I have been researching possibly going with a salt water generator system in my fiberglass pool. I know it's supposed to be great with fiberglass but I have a question specific to my situation. My poois surrounded by concrete paver stones. Here is a pic from when I first opened this spring.

I am concerned about salt corrosion of the stones after all I have read about corrosion with concrete pools. Does anyone have any experience with pavers and SWG pools?

No issues. We have the same setup here in the Southwest Desert. Hot. Salt has not impacted anything in nearly 3 years.

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses, I didn't think they would be any problem but wanted to here from people that have them. I am on county water and the CYA is about 60 right out of the tap. I am always fighting to keep it down to manageable levels with my chlorine setup and I think going to SWG system may be a help. I am still researching and trying to find the best system to go with. The Hayward system gets good reviews and I have always had good luck with their products. Anyone want to make a recommendation for an SWG system, for conversion from chlorine.

Tap water has 0 CYA. You will need to get at least 60 ppm CYA in the water to keep chlorine loss manageable.

I took a sample from my tap and used the CYA procedure in my T-2006 kit and it came out at 60. I did this test because I drained 1/3 of the pool and the filled it back up 4 times in the last 2 weeks, trying to get my CYA down. I will change 1/3 of the water and my CYA will only drop about 10 points. That is why I checked the tap source. I will do another test tomorrow and see if I made a mistake. Regardless I will be switching over to the SWG system with the new CircuPool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try doing the test with just tap water and no reagent to see if your water is just too cloudy to get a good test.

Also, pour a tiny bit of acid into the cell to clean it. Over time, the black dot becomes clouded by melamine cyanurate .

Well you guys are correct. I tested the tap water again today and it's zero CYA. I don't know what happened when I tested it the first time but I had to have made some kind of mistake. After another 1/3 drain and fill my pool CYA is now down to 50, so I can make the changeover to the SWG when it arrives. I stopped using tablets this year and just use liquid chlorine, so it should stay good until I can get the SWG installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.