Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening numbers

(Update: Edited TA numbers below because I reran TA and got a better reading. No longer 130 but 90-100.)

Opened yesterday and had a non-operable pump. Replaced it and now working. Pool has been running for about an hour and here are our numbers:

CYA: 0
    FC: 3
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 90-100

Didn't test CH as that doesn't appear to be an issue for vinyl...(right???)

So my first step is to tackle CYA and raise to 30.

1. Do you suggest any other goals at this point? PH is a little low but I'm assuming PH will go up on its own overtime but I may need to work on TA.

2. I always do a SLaM when opening and an overnight chlorine test but don't I first have to wait for CYA to reach measurable levels?
    25,000 gal
    Sand filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 horsepower pump (don't know flow rate)
    14 years

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Opening numbers

You can being the SLAM immediately after adding the CYA. Don't test for it just yet, just assume it's there at the level you added it for. You can test for it in a few days. pH is close enough, don't adjust.

Happy SLAMming!!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Opening numbers

Low CH is not a problem for vinyl. High CH can still risk scaling. You should test it even if you never add any.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!