Making sure I'm on the right track....

Jun 25, 2009
Greetings all;

We had a huge algae problem with our pool (grass-green water, algae growing on the walls, etc.), and water analysis at Leslie's indicated off the charts levels of Cyanuric Acid and Calcium Hardness. Obviously we were looking at a drain and refill situation so we have decided to attempt to manage the pool with the BBB method since everything is more readily available in our area.

We have a 20,000 gallon plaster pool, cartridge filter. Last night (tuesday night) we drained over 10,000 gallons out and have since refilled it.

I found the algae control thread (turning green pool into an oasis) and began using that method for the startup process. Of course, my new FAS test kit isn't here yet so I can't accurately tell my CYA levels now.

Since we began refilling it, we have added almost 30 gallons of 6% bleach into the pool over the last 24 hours, plus I used my last box of Chlor Brite shock from Leslie's (12 lbs of Sodium Hypochlorite powder basically). Every hour to hour and a half we're testing, and most of the time our FC is real close to 0 ppm, so we dump more in. I understand that this means that the FC levels are actively killing "stuff" in the pool water, and the 105 degree record heat and sunlight is not helping keep FC available in the water.

We have about 20 more gallons of bleach coming from Wal-Mart tonight, but I guess I'm just not sure if I'm on the right track here. The pool is definitely becoming clearer and is not green anymore, but at what point should I start seeing it beginning to hold FC levels?

PH is slightly low (6.7), Alkalinity is about 120-140. That's all I can check with my current kit (like I say, new one's on the way).

THanks

Welcome to TFP,
Which test kit are you getting. With high chlorine levels ph won't read correctly. It does take a bit of bleach. To clear my pool this spring it took over 35 gal, with a CYA of 0. When you can post a full set of test numbers. The people here will help you thru the cleanup and balance of water chemistry. Add your pool specifics in your signature.

ph won't read correctly with an fc level of 10ppm or more. however the op is stating their tests are showing minimal fc, therefore the ph test should be correct, and it is too low. keep adding chlorine/bleach, brushing and running that pump 24/7. good luck.

Your CYA levels are probably extremely high, especially if you have been using Chlor Brite, which contains CYA. If your CYA level is as high as I suspect it is, you might be wasting your time. If you don't add enough chlorine to get to shock level for your CYA level, then the algae probably won't be completely killed and it can just grow back. On the other hand, if you are seeing a visible improvement, they you probably have been using enough chlorine. It is tricky guessing at this, much better to have test results.

In any case, as long as you seem to be making progress, don't let up with the chlorine until either the water is clear or you can do an overnight FC loss test and only lose 1.0 ppm of FC or less.

Hi and Welcome:

My comments are in bold:

jwb4273 said:
Greetings all;

We had a huge algae problem with our pool (grass-green water, algae growing on the walls, etc.), and water analysis at Leslie's indicated off the charts levels of Cyanuric Acid and Calcium Hardness. Obviously we were looking at a drain and refill situation so we have decided to attempt to manage the pool with the BBB method since everything is more readily available in our area.
What did Leslie's say your CYA level was? If we have a starting point, we can have a better guess at what the CYA might possibly be after your drain.

We have a 20,000 gallon plaster pool, cartridge filter. Last night (tuesday night) we drained over 10,000 gallons out and have since refilled it.

I found the algae control thread (turning green pool into an oasis) and began using that method for the startup process. Of course, my new FAS test kit isn't here yet so I can't accurately tell my CYA levels now.

Since we began refilling it, we have added almost 30 gallons of 6% bleach into the pool over the last 24 hours, plus I used my last box of Chlor Brite shock from Leslie's (12 lbs of Sodium Hypochlorite powder basically).
As Jason said, Chlor Brite is Dichlor, which contains CYA. You have added back at least 36ppm CYA by using this product. Did you add MORE than 12 lbs?

Every hour to hour and a half we're testing, and most of the time our FC is real close to 0 ppm, so we dump more in. I understand that this means that the FC levels are actively killing "stuff" in the pool water, and the 105 degree record heat and sunlight is not helping keep FC available in the water.
You have CYA in the water, so that's not really what's consuming the FC - the algae is.

We have about 20 more gallons of bleach coming from Wal-Mart tonight, but I guess I'm just not sure if I'm on the right track here. The pool is definitely becoming clearer and is not green anymore, but at what point should I start seeing it beginning to hold FC levels?
Keep in mind the bleach at walmart is sold in 96 oz jugs and 182oz jugs, not gallons. So when you make your calculations for how much chlorine to add, make sure you have the correct size jug on the Pool Calculator selected. You are using the Pool Calculator to determine how much to add, right?

You are on the right track - it's a process, and it takes time when it gets to the "swamp" stage. Have some POP.
:wink:

PH is slightly low (6.7), Alkalinity is about 120-140. That's all I can check with my current kit (like I say, new one's on the way).
While the FC is below 10, raise your PH up with BORAX today - get it up to 7.2 ASAP.

THanks

Which kit did you order? A full test kit, and which one?

Without an accurate CYA reading, and a way to test your FC shock level, it's going to be hard to make progress, cause you are basically just guessing at this point, guessing how high your CYA is and guessing that you are adding enough chlorine to reach shock level. Hopefully your test kit will come soon.

Go raise your PH! Then go add some more bleach! :goodjob: I agree, if you can get back to Leslies for updated test results, post them here. Don't buy anymore chlor brite! (or anything else from them).

You are on the right track, hang in there. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.