advice on pump, filter

Aug 2, 2007
North Texas
I've been around this forum for a couple of years, mostly just reading and learning. We started out with a large Intex easy-set to "get our feet wet" and had great success with it, apparently contrary to what a lot of people experience. Earlier this summer, we started the ground work for a traditional above-ground pool. The ground work is approaching completion (if the rain stays away), so now we're contemplating the next steps.

The setup we currently have sitting in the barn is a ten-year-old or so used AGB from a dear friend. It was taken down from their place in April, and everything was in working order when the pool was closed last fall. This is what we have...

18'x33'x4' (15,700gal) pool, minus liner of course...it's in pretty good shape, but some of the buttress assembly got a bit beat up when the folks helping my husband take it apart got into a hurry

1 hp A.O. Smith Century pool/jetted tub pump
Part (model?) number 340197
3450rpm

Purex triton sand filter
TA-50/50d
flow rate = 50gpm
media = #20 silica sand, 225 lbs.
max working psi = 50

What I'm most interested in are your opinions on are the pump and filter. Is this pump and filter system adequate for a 15,700 gal pool? We're willing to purchase what we need, up to/including a whole new pool, depending on whether my husband feels that he can get the current pool put back together.

Thanks for any advice.

as long as the pump still works and the sand filter laterals are in good shape...keep what you have...load it up with 225lbs of fresh sand and you should be just fine. 1hp is more than enough and 225lb filter is OK...for reference I have a 250lb filter and a 1/2hp full rated pump...we have about 2000 less gallons than you, but my filter is slightly oversized...again as long as your equipment is in working order, I think you will be just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.