inline chlorine feeder what rate of flow is good please help

Jun 22, 2009
I have a intex above ground pool and I just got a inline chlorine feeder hooked up and I know I can eventually figure it out what the rate should be set as but I was hoping someone else has one and can give me an idea of what a good rate is 1 through 8 on my dial. so I don't. go over board

I have a 24ft round 52 inches deep pool
thanks

Hi and Welcome.

Not sure, it will be trial and error for you. You can start at 8 and then dial it back until you find the correct setting for your pool. But that's just a guess.

Have you read Pool School? That's a great place to start and many of your questions can be answered by the articles there. One of the things about our site is we really don't advocate the use of tablets and pucks for every day chlorination, they are ok for certain situations. But if that is your choice, then you need to understand what their use does to your water chemistry, and you need a good testing method (not test strips).

Pucks lower PH/TA and they increase CYA levels. You may be able to manage with them if you have frequent water replacement, but you will need plenty of "ph up" chems like Soda Ash on hand to deal with the affects.

Be aware that the HTH brand of tablets - the dual action ones - they contain copper. You don't want copper in your pool.

So please read pool school and if you still have questions, we're happy to answer.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Hi and Welcome.

Not sure, it will be trial and error for you. You can start at 8 and then dial it back until you find the correct setting for your pool. But that's just a guess.

Have you read Pool School? That's a great place to start and many of your questions can be answered by the articles there. One of the things about our site is we really don't advocate the use of tablets and pucks for every day chlorination, they are ok for certain situations. But if that is your choice, then you need to understand what their use does to your water chemistry, and you need a good testing method (not test strips).

Pucks lower PH/TA and they increase CYA levels. You may be able to manage with them if you have frequent water replacement, but you will need plenty of "ph up" chems like Soda Ash on hand to deal with the affects.

Be aware that the HTH brand of tablets - the dual action ones - they contain copper. You don't want copper in your pool.

So please read pool school and if you still have questions, we're happy to answer.

Thanks, I was using Liquid chlorine (bleach), but I went through a jug in two days.so I thought it was best to get a chlorine feeder.

shaunna said:
Thanks, I was using Liquid chlorine (bleach), but I went through a jug in two days.so I thought it was best to get a chlorine feeder.
In your pool, a 182-oz jug of 6% bleach is worth about 6ppm so it seems pretty reasonable to use up that much in two days. Do you know what your CYA level is? If this is a new pool and you have used only liquid chlorine, and never added CYA, then you should put in 30-50ppm; that would be about one 4-lb container.
--paulr

shauna...welcome to TFP!...as PaulR mentions...you probably need to add some stabilizer/conditioner (aka CYA) to slow your chlorine burn rate when using liquid chlorine....we don;t like pucks, but as FPM mentions they can work if you understand what they do to you water chemistry...over the long term they are acidic and will overstabilize your pool.

My advice

1st...Read Pool School - button on upper right of this page
2nd ...Re-Read Pool School
3rd ...I strongly suggest getting a good test kit...we recommend two...the TF100 from TFTESTKITS.net or the Taylor k2006

If you post some test results for us, we can help guide you to slow down that FC burn rate or give advice on using that chlorinator.

These days I would much rather invest in the intex (cheap) swg (Krystalclear)...and I know i'm biased since I own one, but I paid $180 for mine and it has been over a month now of no pucks, no bleach bottles...coupled with some advice from this awesome forum (people like FPM and PaulR :goodjob: ) and my water has been crystal clear. Try out what we call BBB and I promise you will not be disappointed.

dmanb2b said:
shauna...welcome to TFP!...as PaulR mentions...you probably need to add some stabilizer/conditioner (aka CYA) to slow your chlorine burn rate when using liquid chlorine....we don;t like pucks, but as FPM mentions they can work if you understand what they do to you water chemistry...over the long term they are acidic and will overstabilize your pool.

My advice

1st...Read Pool School - button on upper right of this page
2nd ...Re-Read Pool School
3rd ...I strongly suggest getting a good test kit...we recommend two...the TF100 from TFTESTKITS.net or the Taylor k2006

If you post some test results for us, we can help guide you to slow down that FC burn rate or give advice on using that chlorinator.

These days I would much rather invest in the intex (cheap) swg (Krystalclear)...and I know i'm biased since I own one, but I paid $180 for mine and it has been over a month now of no pucks, no bleach bottles...coupled with some advice from this awesome forum (people like FPM and PaulR :goodjob: ) and my water has been crystal clear. Try out what we call BBB and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for all the advice, but honestly this sounds way more complicated to me then anything. I did look at pool school, way to complicated. my pool sits in the sun litterally all day. I did have a pool a couple of years ago it was alot smaller and it was a really cheap one and all I did was have a floater and I shocked once a week never added anything else for two summers. So I bought a bigger one thinking I can just do the same thing. I really dont want a salt water. my water has been great so far just using bleach and Borax, I guess I will see what happens with the tablets. I guess I will have to do some research and have someone come out and teach me ,I am a hands on learner! But thanks anyways for your help!!

One way you can make this work is use the tabs for a while, then switch back to bleach. If these are the 8-oz 3" tabs, then use the chlorinator until you have used up maybe 20 tabs, after that try the bleach again.

Constant use of the tabs will eventually become a problem, make it hard to avoid algae.
--paulr

Shaunna, in a properly chlorinated pool, you really never or very rarely, need to shock. Certainly not weekly, probably not even monthly.

I have shocked my pool before leaving on 3 extended vacations (as a preventative), and 2 closings for winter. 5 times in over 2 years. That's it.

The beauty of BBB is its simple - NOT complicated at all, and it works. And it's cheaper than the method you have been used to using.

Once your numbers are in range, you would use a lot less bleach than you described. We have the same size pool and I use about 1 large jug (182 oz) of walmart-bleach a week. You can't beat $2.54 a week for maintaining a pool. Sometimes its more (like right now and our heatwave, the pool is uncovered and we're in it alot more than normal, so I'm going thru the bleach faster, maybe 2 jugs a week - $5.00.)

Until this year, when I had to increase my CYA, I hadn't put anything in my pool except bleach. That's it. Can't get any simpler than that.

Anyway, that's my opinion, you have to decide what will work for you. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.